Gas welding AL

Gang, Just got through reading older posts concerning gas (O/A) welding of aluminum - and am absorbing a lot - however, all the posts were concerned with welding .025 up to about 1/8" "nice" aluminum. What about a heavier aluminum *casting*. Suggestions, please. And I'm still talking about O/A techniques..... BTW - I have all the stuff from "tinman" - lense, flux, wire, etc.... I haven't tried just plain aluminum in thinner sections but went straight for the heavier casting and had no luck. Is it possible? Thanks. Ken.

Reply to
Ken Sterling

It seems to be possible. But I wouldn't even think to try. I have seen OA welds on aluminium 10mm thick (on a MAN double acting, 2 stroke marine diesel). I think it takes a **lot** of training.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

Heat! You need more heat!

All things are possible!

I have TIG welded some 1/2 inch thick sections and it took all the heat I could get out of a 300 amp welder. Plus some. Preheating with a rosebud helped.

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones