Gearbox efficiency while back-driving

The Panther and Tiger were susceptible to ambush from the side where the armor was much thinner, though this upgunned British version could penetrate their frontal armor if it managed to shoot first:

"British Sherman VC "Firefly" armed with 17 pounder gun was capable of penetrating Tiger's armor at range of 800m. "

General Hatcher claimed that our bridging equipment wasn't strong enough for the heavy tank we had designed. The Germans retreated across intact bridges and then demolished them. We chose instead to use a gun too large for a turret in the open-topped Tank Destroyer, which required infantry support and didn't suit Blitzkrieg assaults but fit Eisenhower's slow, steady approach.

"The weight saved from the lack of a turret could allow more armour to be fitted, and the lower profile allowed this armour to be concentrated in the hull."

"In part because of the effectiveness of US TD tactics, no German campaign against the US ever achieved its objectives, nor did any TD unit lose more vehicles than its German opponent."

The Bulge area was defended by a thin screen of infantry since we considered it poor tank country. jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Very interesting. Thanks.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

The tank destroyer story I liked {and feared} was when Patton was trying to relieve Bastogne; he sent several M18 Hellcats at top speed to attack the German rear and create confusion.

A Hellcat, powered by a 9 cyc. 450HP radial aircraft engine, could do 60 MPH full out and these did just that. Imagine those 40,000 lbs going 60 mph up a narrow road....

Reply to
David Lesher

The image of a group of angry Tasmanian Devils popped into my head. I loved those stupid cartoons. :)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

This 15,000 lbs at 30-40MPH was about all I could handle on narrow, winding Bavarian back roads, the Ultimate Driving Machine's native habitat:

The Romans built straighter, wider roads for foot and wagon traffic. One road across an open field meandered in sync with a stream a few hundred meters away, as if following an ancient land boundary.

They were fun in a Jeep or my VW, though once a convoy of British APCs forced me to dart into the wood when we met in a corner.

Coming down a twisty mountain road as passenger in a heavily loaded

5-ton I watched the tach hit 5000 RPM, twice the redline. I suppose the engine can survive whatever full scale on the tach is, right? jsw
Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Not if it is Cummins NHC-250

Reply to
Ignoramus30231

"Jim Wilkins" on Sat, 3 Aug 2013 08:13:42 -0400 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Depends. One thing if you are using the engine as a large air-compressor "brake, another thing if you are trying to get power out of it at that RPM. Your Mileage (engine hours) will vary

pyotr filipivich

Not much difference. Limits on rpm are mostly a matter of mechanical accelerations -- piston accelerations, valve accelerations, accelerative force vectors on rotating parts -- not of force applied to pistons from combustion.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

In article , Ed Huntress writes

Isn't there a risk of flywheels bursting at extreme overspeed? ISTR hearing of British tank transporter vehicles having this problem if the brakes failed going down a steep hill.

Reply to
Chris Holford

Yes. That's what I meant by my arch description, "accelerative force vectors on rotating parts." I didn't want to risk the wrath of the obsessives by mentioning "centrifugal force."

Flywheels can blow up. Drag racers used to blow them up with some regularity. Covering them with a protective shield was an early use for Kevlar.

A lot of guys were relieved when they moved engines to the rear, where the flywheel and the ring-and-pinion were well clear of their testicles. d8-)

Reply to
Ed Huntress

No matter, we had a rich Uncle who would pay for what we broke, usually without asking questions. jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

"Jim Wilkins" on Sat, 3 Aug 2013 19:33:28 -0400 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

There is that. Not to mention buying the AV gas for your plane (but that is a more .. specialized group, those active members of Uncle Sam's Flying Club.)

pyotr filipivich

What really impressed me was that they would provide a Captain pilot to transport a Sergeant.repair tech.

What didn't impress me the same way was the second-tour pilot's demo of how to unexpectedly drop like a rock into a hot LZ in Nam.

Excuse me, Sir, but aren't the helicopter's blades supposed to be in the blue instead of the green direction? jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins