Gluing aluminum

Rotax 503 - 2 stroke 50 horse - air cooled - with electric start. Bare engine is 67 pounds - figure about 80 all up.

For guys 250 pounds, consider a 582. 64 horesies at about 96 pounds.

It's heavier with water cooling, but the extra power helps. The temps are better regulated for long runs at high power.

AND, they sound and feel like turbines, are geared for a LONG (72 or better) propeller.

I'd not go for an automatic oiler. Mix the oil in the gas like any self respecting weed eater.

As for them being two stroke engines - yes they are. Turbine like smooth operation and power.

But the really big issue is weight. That 2180 VW weighed in at a bit over 200 pounds and cost over $4000 to build.

Yes, it had electric start and alternator - but 200 pounds for what is essentially a 40 horse engine - even with the initial big engine attitude - seems excessive to me.

Richard

Reply to
cavelamb himself

No, they were trying to escape the Japaneese.

Reply to
cavelamb himself

Sure, but none of that really means anything unless you know WHY.

Reply to
cavelamb himself

Thanks, Richard. That seems to be the opinion of a lot of people.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

You are welcome, Ed.