Gold

something like indulgences only different.

John

Reply to
John

It would make more sense to me to buy it a year ahead. In June of '11, you're eating what you bought in June of '10. This month, you buy what you'll eating June of '12.

And who says you have to buy it from LDS?

David

Reply to
David R. Birch

How so? While there has been, and will be, variations, it has always been said that a man can buy a nice suit with an ounce of gold.

Still can.

Suppose you had 100 ounces of gold that you'd held since 1990. Suppose you had put the same amount of money in a CD at the same point in time. According to buying power, which one do you suppose would be the better choice, today?

Go one step further and apply that to the purchase of a house at market price in '90, and an equal investment in gold at the same period in time. Which do you suppose would be the better deal today?

Gold shines in times like these. However those that haven't had the wisdom to see the possiblity tend to denegrate the idea, as well as those that had the good fortune to see what was coming, dismissing gold, as you're doing.

Funny, really. Really, really funny.

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos

In the LDS community, the church provides a list of "accepted" providers. All owned up the line by the church.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

When the gold price bubble pops the price may fall back to 1990 levels

at that point ask the question again

Reply to
jim

The house - by far. Way, way far....

Reply to
John R. Carroll

But what if it doesn't? That's something you can't know, and obviously don't. If it doesn't, maybe you can eat your comments. It's not that you can't be right---you can---but so can I. Then what? You, without gold, will likely lose what you have, while those that hold gold will go on as if nothing happened. They have insured the buying power of their investment.

Remember, one doesn't buy insurance because they're going to die---they buy insurance *in case* they die. Therefore, those that hold gold do so because they understand that the dollar can go to hell in a hand basket. History is on their side---no nation has failed to go broke eventually, and that's a condition that's running rampant as we speak.

No need continuing trying to support your position. For me, it's akin to talking to a self appointed expert on a subject that doesn't have a clue in reality. You likely know nothing about gold, as few do, and obviously don't own any. What better way to justify not doing so than to offer reasons why one shouldn't, when, in reality, one should.

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos

Not even close. Your house investment would have had to grow by 389% to have kept pace with the growth of gold as of today, based on gold selling for an average price of $386.20 in 1990. In that time, you'd have paid a huge percentage of money in real estate taxes, so the real gain would be much smaller. Price, as I type, is set @ $1,504.60 for gold. Again, has gold really gone up? I don't think so. I think the dollar has gone down, and prices on EVERYTHING indicate I'm right, or are you still filling your tank for 22 cents/gallon.

Remember those day?

I do!

Assuming one's home had grown in value, it sure as hell isn't worth that much today, and may not be again. Do you find that houses that are on the market are selling for advertised prices? Here, they're selling for roughly 25% less than asking price, assuming they're selling at all, and few are.

It appears, at least to me, that people think of recent events as just a bump in the road, and we'll return to business as usual. I don't think so. The days of crazy price increases (and "free money") are gone, and if they aren't, we're screwed.

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos

And would those taxes be more than the rent you are paying without a house? Or are you living in your lump of gold?

Reply to
jim

If you had enough gold, you could build a "mammoth car" out of gold and live in it.

Reply to
ATP

Auric goldfinger did that in 1963.

Best Regards Tom.

Reply to
azotic

Your calculation omits a couple of substantial considerations.

1) Mortgage interest is tax deductable. The government will help me pay for my investment.

2) I can live in the house.

3) I can rent the property and generate cash flow. Under those circumstances, not only does the mortgage interest come off the top, so do all of the other things required to maintain the property including insurances and taxes..

4) A rental depreciates, giving me substantial tax benefit in the absence of cash outlay's.

5) I've got a mortgage and a property along with my cash. You'll probably have to pay cash for your gold.

6) Property values, after adjusting for our latest financial garbage, are significantly higher today than in 1990. I've realized a substantial gain and my property is still either a roof over my head or generating cash flow.

7) Home equity is a lot more liquid than gold and it's unlikely that anyone would shoot me and run off with my property. Gold is portable.

All of that value has to be factored in to any investment calculation.

Me too.

Offers and bids are pretty well aligned around here. Values have generally stabilized but continue to decline in many markets. I wouldn't be surprised to see residential property end up down another 15 percent for the year.

We might be screwed anyway but people will still need a roof. Gold? Not so much unless it suddenly becomes an accepted means for trade. Being hard to value, a given in turbulent times, that is very unlikely. A bow or a well on the other hand, would be both useful for it's utility value and/or trade.

The price of gold isn't driven by ratinal forces. It's price today includes a large emotional component that will evaporate if currency's fail. Utility value will rule that day.

Reply to
John R. Carroll

I also don't know that tulips, houses and shares of GM stock won't steadily increase in price at a faster pace than gold forever maybe they will who knows

Reply to
jim

No need to continue this conversation. You're presenting comments that aren't relevant. Looking more and more like a troll. Go play in the quicksand, sonny.

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos

"Stormin Mormon" on Tue, 28 Jun

2011 10:15:40 -0400 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Naturally. But all things being equal, I' more likely to buy from "Brother Bob", than "Bob the dealer." People tend to aim their business to people they know. Know from their church/synagogue/mosque/temple, their Fraternal Organization, the political party, their work. I get my dental service from the DDS who hired my friend at church, I bought the house from the agency where my friend worked. The loan was dealt with by the folks the guy at work recommended. It's called "marketing" word of mouth, etc.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich