Gold

Not even close. Your house investment would have had to grow by 389% to have kept pace with the growth of gold as of today, based on gold selling for an average price of $386.20 in 1990. In that time, you'd have paid a huge percentage of money in real estate taxes, so the real gain would be much smaller. Price, as I type, is set @ $1,504.60 for gold. Again, has gold really gone up? I don't think so. I think the dollar has gone down, and prices on EVERYTHING indicate I'm right, or are you still filling your tank for 22 cents/gallon.
Remember those day?
I do!
Assuming one's home had grown in value, it sure as hell isn't worth that much today, and may not be again. Do you find that houses that are on the market are selling for advertised prices? Here, they're selling for roughly 25% less than asking price, assuming they're selling at all, and few are.
It appears, at least to me, that people think of recent events as just a bump in the road, and we'll return to business as usual. I don't think so. The days of crazy price increases (and "free money") are gone, and if they aren't, we're screwed.
Harold
Harold & Susan Vordos wrote:

And would those taxes be more than the rent you are paying without a house? Or are you living in your lump of gold?

If you had enough gold, you could build a "mammoth car" out of gold and live in it.

Auric goldfinger did that in 1963.
Best Regards Tom.

No need to continue this conversation. You're presenting comments that aren't relevant. Looking more and more like a troll. Go play in the quicksand, sonny.
Harold
Harold & Susan Vordos wrote:

Your calculation omits a couple of substantial considerations.
1) Mortgage interest is tax deductable. The government will help me pay for my investment.
2) I can live in the house.
3) I can rent the property and generate cash flow. Under those circumstances, not only does the mortgage interest come off the top, so do all of the other things required to maintain the property including insurances and taxes..
4) A rental depreciates, giving me substantial tax benefit in the absence of cash outlay's.
5) I've got a mortgage and a property along with my cash. You'll probably have to pay cash for your gold.
6) Property values, after adjusting for our latest financial garbage, are significantly higher today than in 1990. I've realized a substantial gain and my property is still either a roof over my head or generating cash flow.
7) Home equity is a lot more liquid than gold and it's unlikely that anyone would shoot me and run off with my property. Gold is portable.
All of that value has to be factored in to any investment calculation.

Me too.

Offers and bids are pretty well aligned around here. Values have generally stabilized but continue to decline in many markets. I wouldn't be surprised to see residential property end up down another 15 percent for the year.

We might be screwed anyway but people will still need a roof. Gold? Not so much unless it suddenly becomes an accepted means for trade. Being hard to value, a given in turbulent times, that is very unlikely. A bow or a well on the other hand, would be both useful for it's utility value and/or trade.
The price of gold isn't driven by ratinal forces. It's price today includes a large emotional component that will evaporate if currency's fail. Utility value will rule that day.
--
John R. Carroll

If I recall correctly, it's part of the LDS code of conduct that each family have a year's stores on-hand.
'Seems like that would require a medium-sized barn for the average Mormon family! <G>
LLoyd

The ploy is that you buy this food at the church store at bloated prices, then buy it again because it doesn't have a very long storage life. I see tons of home storage foods for sale here in Utah at pennies on the dollar, all out of date. That would be like buying a dead dog. But the church loves it, and will sell you a whole new supply. Sorry, the food has to be blessed by the bishop, or it won't save you. Of course, that will cost ya.
Steve
Steve B wrote:

something like indulgences only different.
John
On 6/27/2011 9:01 PM, Steve B wrote:

It would make more sense to me to buy it a year ahead. In June of '11, you're eating what you bought in June of '10. This month, you buy what you'll eating June of '12.
And who says you have to buy it from LDS?
David

In the LDS community, the church provides a list of "accepted" providers. All owned up the line by the church.
Steve
2011 10:15:40 -0400 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

    Naturally. But all things being equal, I' more likely to buy from "Brother Bob", than "Bob the dealer." People tend to aim their business to people they know. Know from their church/synagogue/mosque/temple, their Fraternal Organization, the political party, their work.     I get my dental service from the DDS who hired my friend at church, I bought the house from the agency where my friend worked. The loan was dealt with by the folks the guy at work recommended. It's called "marketing" word of mouth, etc.
--
pyotr filipivich
Steve B wrote:

If the subject is metal but the discussion is not metalworking, could you throw an OT in the heading.

Sure, Jim.
Steve

But what could be more metal content than gold.
Steve