Good book on paint selection?

Does anyone know of a good book on paint selection aimed at the end user? I am talking about a book which tells you what primer to use for every metal under the sun, and gives you generic names for the types of paint, rather than proprietary names which are out of date, or which you can't find in your country.

I already have this book, but it's overly detailed when it comes to some metals, and other metals are omitted completely:

Any suggestions?

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

check the web sites of the major manufacturers - DuPont, for example - and Dietzler - I got a lot of info there when I needed it. Maybe also Finishmaster??

Reply to
William Noble

completely:

Check out some paint companies' literature, most have usage and technical specs for their products. Don't know of any generic docs out there, for some special applications you're going to have to contact the technical support folks at one company or another. Most of the stuff I have is for automotive paint systems, they're all different and they change frequently. Coatings is a fast-moving field. What's good this year is gone next week. So anything that actually hits print as a commercial book is going to be out of date except for some generic metal prep tips.

Stan

Reply to
stans4

On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 04:41:58 +0000, with neither quill nor qualm, Christopher Tidy quickly quoth:

From 1981? There are dozens (if not hundreds) of new metals out since then.

Find a newer book. ;)

From googling "painting metal":

yet:

-- We have to fight them daily, like fleas, those many small worries about the morrow, for they sap our energies. -- Etty Hillesum

Reply to
Larry Jaques

That should be Ditzler or PPG Ditzler.

Suppliers will depend on how you intend to apply it; automotive coatings are applied by spraying and tend to be quite expensive. Other paint companies supply good products (and information) for application by brush, roller, airless spray, etc.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Thanks for the links. I've had a look through those books, but can't see what I want. I just want one book which says "brass: use this, zinc: use that", etc. I'm not really interested in why - I just want to know the right paint to use.

Anyone else know of such a book?

Many thanks,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

On Thu, 01 Nov 2007 02:14:34 +0000, with neither quill nor qualm, Christopher Tidy quickly quoth:

Start calling manufacturers or visiting paint stores, Chris.

P.S: Let us know if you find such a book.

-- Knowledge and timber shouldn't be much used till they are seasoned. -- Oliver Wendell Holmes

Reply to
Larry Jaques

There can be no such answer until you specify a few choices, like:

  • method of application (brush, spray, roller, etc)
  • application environment -- downdraft paint booth to outdoors
  • budgetary constraints. "Good" automotive paint can cost well north of 0/gallon
  • requirements (indoor vs outdoor, sunlight exposure, wheelbarrow vs Mercedes degree of gloss, range of color choices, durability expected
  • degree of prep acceptable, from wipe off the big chunks to gritblast, phosphate, alodyne, etc. as appropriate

A good two-part epoxy spray automotive primer like PPG DP90 will stick to dang near any metal, is very tough, and is suitable as an undercoat for just about any topcoat -- or will protect with no topcoat. It also costs about $40/quart.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Skip the paint! Go to powder coating - you can do almost anything in one coat, no primer, no fumes.

A friend of mine makes really FANCY light fixtures, and he does all powder coat. I took a couple pieces over and did them with his guns, paint and oven, and the results were FAR superior to what I'd been doing. I was using a zinc chromate primer that when it got on your hands was just like green contact cement. I never got the clumps of the chromate to mix well, so I got a "fuzzy" finish. The primer and the paint both had a very strong smell. The paint I was using was an industrial bake-on enamel. After working with the powder coat stuff, I was amazed it was significantly more durable than the primer/enamel! it also looked a HECK of a lot better. The big deal is there's no smell to this stuff, and the cabinets are ready to assemble after about 10 minutes in the oven. I have the equipment now and will do my fist box on my own in about a week or so.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson