Harbor Freight 2 ton shop crane

I brought one home today, partially assembled it and put in my truck. Hopefully, I could use it tomorrow. Some impressions.

  1. It is built sturdily.

  1. It is missing a bunch of hardware (split washers, plain washers).

  2. At least one caster will have limited range of turning due to bolts being slightly too long.

  1. Partially disassembled, it can be easily transported and does not take much space.

  2. Most of it can be stored outdoors.

  1. It does feel a little bit flakey, not strength wise, but with respect to things that do not quite perfectly fit etc.

  2. I do not like the way the leg extensions are secured by bolts pushing on them when tightened (as opposed to what I would prefer, through bolts).

I have no idea how well does the ram operate, however, without load, it does properly work.

I will see if positives outweigh the negatives, tomorrow.

Ignoramus7702

Which model did you buy: did you get the foldable crane (#35915)?

What is the max lifting height with full boom extention?

You might want to eventually replace most of the hardware with quality parts anyway.

Easily fixed.

I'd grease it well and cover with a waterproof tarp to minimize rust. Of course, the ram should stay indoors (in the fully retracted position).

I suspect this may be to allow continuous setting positions. But I agree, it's flimsly and they tend to come loose in action. Of course, it's trivial to drill your own set of adjustment holes.

One problem I've found on some (not all) Chinese hydraulic rams is that they seep oil around the release screw. Annoying, but doesn't affect operation.

Let us know. Btw, what price did you get it at? Their Web site lists the model 35915 at $199.99. But I know they often have them on sale in the stores.

Regards, Michael

Reply to
DeepDiver

Hope all goes well. Don't stand under the Clausing!

Vaughn

Reply to
Vaughn

No, non-foldable model. The only way I would store it (if I keep it, which will depend on how it performs today), is disassembled.

Supposedly, 117 inches (!). It is hard to believe that.

sure.

Yep.

Agreed on all counts.

I paid 149.95. It was on "sale".

Ignoramus20427

Reverse the screws! the head goes on the caster-side, the nuts/washers inside the tube! pita, indeed. Long-nose pliers!

Oh yeah, at no extra charge you get *elliptical wheels*!

Yeah, these things are easily 220# or more. I disassemble mine into 3 main sections. I leave the bottom part w/ wheels extensions/brace together, the ram/strut together, and the inside/outside boom together. I also take off the two skinny rails, as the kinks don't let them align smoothly w/ anything. I then pile everything onto the legs, and shove under the fadal.

---------------------------- Mr. P.V.'d formerly Droll Troll

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

Yeah, in the other thread, a poster issued a super-caution against moving the crane while stuff is hoisted. Good advice, IF you can adhere to it--which you can't always do.

As I said before, always gauge the stability/tip-ability. If you do have to move the crane/object, lower the object as much as possible, mebbe even taking the time to better position it altogether (re-rig, once off the truck).

What we did was to put the lathe on a cupla dollies, whilst being semi-hoisted, to make transport easier. Worked nice.

In my case, later I had the absolute worst-case scenarios of being cramped, having the lathe hoisted way high, being off balance, AND having to move the whole goddamm thing--hopefully never ever again!

Whenever I pass the lathe (snap handle, DRO, bro), I lean over, hug her, and apologize....

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

Well, I did it according to the picture in the installation instructions. :) It would be a real pain to reverse them. If I keep this crane, I will simply grind the screws down a bit.

That would be a real pain...

haha

Mine is disassembled into even more pieces, but should take (hopefully) not more than 5 min to put together.

Ignoramus20427

What I will try to do is, if I move the crane, is tie the bottom of the mill to the crane so that the mill does not swing too much. Maybe using rubber tiedowns.

I might put a piece of plywood on the legs of the crane, and lower the mill on the plywood.

The crane, actually, has leg extensions in front as well as in the back. It has a relatively wide base.

Got it. I do not need to transport it (at his site anyway), all I want is to move it to the middle of the garage (which I could do either by pushing it by hand or by pulling on it with my pickup), and then I would lift it up with the crane, so that I can back my trailer underneath it.

I know the feeling.

Ignoramus20427

If you are still talking about moving the clausing mill, I have been told that it can be fairly easily disassembled to make moving trivial.

cs

Reply to
Chuck Sherwood

I will definitely give it a fair consideration tonight.

Ignoramus20427

FYI, Pep Boys has a 2-ton shop crane (folding style) for $129 less a $20 rebate. I bought one back in January when it was on sale for $119 less a $20 rebate. No issues, no missing parts, solidly built, no leaky hydraulics, wheels are round - it's a whole lotta thing for $99. If you're shopping for a hoist and there's a Pep Boys nearby, check it out.

Disclaimer: no connection with Pep Boys, except that I shop there occasionally.

-Ron

Reply to
Ron DeBlock

Hi Ron,

Can you tell us the max lifting height with boom in the fully extended position?

Thanks! Michael

Reply to
DeepDiver

From the instruction manual:

88-1/2 inches, with boom fully extended (1/2 ton capacity) 71-1/4 inches, with boom retracted (2 ton capacity)

It's a Torin Big Red model T32001.

Hope this helps,

-Ron

Reply to