Harbor Freight air hydraulic jack for shop crane

Since I started using my shop crane more often, raising it up becomes quite a chore. So I splashed and bought this item:

This is an air hydraulic jack for their shop crane. My first impressions from using it is that it is a great time saver. So far I have been rather happy with it. Note that it needs an oiler to go with it.

Ignoramus16660

^^^^^^^^^^ splurged

Reply to
Ignoramus16660

Hey Iggy,

Have you tried it yet? Is there any "feel" to what is happening? I'd be worried about too easily applying more force than is necessary and not realizing it. Force that you can "feel" manually in the pump handle, but maybe not with the air.

I'd certainly like to know what you find. I have a hoist mounted to the top of my Bridgeport ram (it's a very wide ram...pix on request) and it is a pain to try to reach the jack handle, up so high, and control it while swinging say a rotary table onto the mill table. A long air line dangling might just do the trick, but I'm worried about "the feel". And I assume that this only applies to "lifting"!??! Do you still have to turn the release valve with the handle?

Take care.

Brian Laws>Since I started using my shop crane more often, raising it up becomes

Reply to
Brian Lawson

(...)

Yup. Says so right here on page 6:

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

I did try it. I do not see the feel issue as being important. I can always do manual lifting in instances where the weight may be close to the limit. Most of the time it is not close to the limit, or I need to lift the crane without any load, etc.

I still have to use the release valve to lower the crane, yes.

Unless your rotary table's weight is close to your crane's capacity, you do not need to worry too much.

Ignoramus7501

Have you ever operated a winch or log splitter or construction equipment? They have no feel and it doesn't really matter.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

The "feel" feedback is only really a concern when using an engine hoist as an engine hoist, where you can "feel" that you forgot to unbolt a motor mount or disconnect a fuel line.

Reply to
Pete C.