Harbor freight lathe

One is coming up on a liquidation locally, wanted to hear opinions, very similar to

This would be for my own use, not resale.

Reply to
Ignoramus4856

Your URL ref. shows $1999.99. What kind of liquidation price are you getting? That will definitely be a determining factor.

Reply to
Al Patrick

getting? That will

I have no idea what the auction will close for (small factory bankruptcy closedown). Maybe $100 and maybe $1999, most likely somewhere in between.

My question is whether it is usable, if so, I will bid a pittance amount in hopes of getting it.

Note, this lathe is used, not new.

Reply to
Ignoramus4856

Quality varies widely, but mine is excellent for it's class. Did some mods to the shifters, to make them more positive action. The gearing, wiring,relays and control system is very well done (in mine) and works perfectly. Didn't find any casting sand in the gear head. Accuracy is within .001 12" from chuck. The gear head is not particularly noisy. Motor is good, no problems. DR Dweller in the cellar

Ignoramus4856 wrote:

Reply to
JR North

OK, cool. I do not need some extreme power, etc, but it would be good if it basically worked and could thread, etc and was giving me accuracy that I am capable of. (which is not much) I will bid a small amount. I like the fact that it is light and can be easily moved.

Ignoramus4856

I would be good to know how much tooling comes with it. A friend has "a similar" one and it has worked out well for him.

I don't know what a "pitance" means to you, but it's hard to believe that it would go for less than $1000 if it's in good shape and has the tooling that it was sold with. If it doesn't have the tooling, it would be pretty expensive to replace:

3 jaw chuck 4 jaw chuck Steady rest Follow rest tool holder wrenches etc..

Pete Stanaitis

-----------------

Ignoramus4856 wrote:

Reply to
spaco

I was thinking to bid $150 or so. Who knows, it might just work.

Ignoramus4856

It looks identical to mine (marketed as a CQ-6230). I don't know if I'd call it easily moved. I guess that depends on what you are accustomed to.

My machine although a little noisy works fine. The only problem I've had is with crossfeed half nuts and their backlash adjuster. If the cross slide is driven in too far one of the half nuts falls into the chip tray. Unfortunately one of my nuts went out with the swarf one day.....

Reply to
Den

I looked at one at the local HF store a while back. Fit and finish was pretty bad with slop everywhere BUT I am sure that there was no effort to set it up other than what was needed to get it off the pallet and onto the showroom floor. I would think that $500 would be a steal. Other machine tools I have had from that part of the world have all had soft fasteners that rounded off quickly. I'd suggest a program of replacing important nut/bolts with a better grade as you can

Reply to
Gerry

Iggy,

I had a very similar looking Chiwanese lathe a couple dozen years ago marketed in Canada under the label "DarSin". I was gunsmithing and building custom competition pistols at the time. After set-up and tweaking I found my lathe to be more than adequate for turning custom barrels. I also used it occasionally for light milling applications with a Palmgren milling attachment. In fact, I was competing in the NRA High Master class in PPC and built myself a custom wheel gun with that venerable 'ol hunk of steel . I lucked into winning a World Championship with that revolver.

$150.00 would be an unbelievable steal. I don't think I'll jinx 'ya by saying it's not likely to go anywhere near that cheap. But I'll think good thoughts and keep my fingers crossed for you.

Cheers.

Michael

Reply to
toolman946 via CraftKB.com

Happened to a friend of mine with a 7.62x39

Now he has a prosthesis.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

The 13" X 40" below it at the same price looks like a better buy. ???

Reply to
John Kunkel

Take your engine lift, stop by harbor fright, buy two furnature movers, and bring some plywood to set on the movers. You can lift it and roll it out to your truck for 40 bucks or so.

Wes

Wes

Last night I was sniping for a metalworking book written by a member of my adoptadads family. Five seconds to go on dsl, sent in bid to fleabay, got an auction ended message. I'm on dsl.

Wes

Wes

Ah, forget my suggestion. I was thinking about how I move the lathe I am repairing out of my way.

I over used my brain at work today.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Clamp an eyebolt in the chuck and thread the sling through it and under the bed. That way you raise the hoist pivot point well above the center of gravity. Stability is a virtue when lifting.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Perhaps your time is off? Do you run good NTP software? (google for "meinberg ntp client for windows").

This auction that I mentioned, is not an ebay auction.

Reply to
Ignoramus12247

On Wed, 21 May 2008 17:00:54 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, Wes quickly quoth:

Ah rectum 5 seconds ain't enough time to properly handshake with SSL to the slow (overworked) eBay servers, Wes.

Next time, you might want to give it 20.

-- The best and safest thing is to keep a balance in your life, acknowledge the great powers around us and in us. If you can do that, and live that way, you are really a wise man. -- Euripides

Reply to
Larry Jaques

-snip-

Best ?$20? I ever spent was on auction sentry- It checks your clock against ebay just before the critical moment.

Ouch- It is still shareware- but now the license isn't for life. $30 for 3 yrs would make me think about it these days.

OTOH- the developer updates the product frequently- and in 5 yrs of using it, I've only been out-sniped once.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Best $0 that I spent on JBidWatcher.

jbidwatcher.com

though I gave this guy a donation, but that was not at all necessary.

Reply to
Ignoramus14615