Harbour Freight Quality comments cross post

My comments about Harbour Freight and their service, if it plugs in or has moving parts look elseware . I bought one of their 2.5 Kw spot welders last summer while on a trip south of the border , brought it home , put the plug on it and tested it on three spot welds on 20 gauge body metal. Worked fine so I put it away till the fall planning on using it for my 47 Dodge rod project. Well the beautiful summer weather changed and it was time to start the 47 Dodge project. The first spot weld went ok , the second one let massive amounts of smoke and flame from the winding ( typically not a good thing). No problem....Harbour Freight has a good service plan.....NOT. Six unanswered emails explaining the problem all including the many other complaints that are already posted on the internet as well as one hour on hold to be told there will be no warrantee as well as we would rather NOT DEAL with Canadians. I will pull it apart and rewind it. It was a good price for a spot welder a very bad price for a boat anchor. Save you money and but the HTP invertig and you will find out what international service really is about.

Just my two cents worth to avoid others from becoming victims.

Pete

Hi, > Whilst l;ooking at the little Plasma cutter mentioned in the recent > thread, I saw a very very cheap TIG set , for 200 USD, which, by the > time I shipped it back here to the UK, paidduty tax, shipping etc, would > still be less than half anything I've seen here. > > Any comments on this as an entry level DC TIG ? > > > Run away screaming, or a decent deal ? BTW Can I use DC tig on stainless > steel ? > > Thanks for your comments. > > Steve
Reply to
Pete

It's too bad you had trouble with your welder, but how can you fault HF for drawing the line on where they provide warranty support? You bought a Chinese Miller-knockoff "gray market" in the U.S. to get a good price, and now you expect reliable operation and full warranty service.

Do> My comments about Harbour Freight and their service, if it plugs in or has

Reply to
Tim Killian

Top Post For Tim Killian

Tim; HF did not mind collecting the money for the spot welder did they? Any decent company would stand behind their product and not hide behind the fact that the item went to CANADA. As for cross border shipping you may want to look in mirror to see where the problem is.

Jack

Reply to
Jack Hayes

Tim, thank you for your comment , it is interesting that I live close to the border and have in the past and will in the future continue to deal with many of our good neighbors to the south. There are good and bad on both sides of the border , reputable companies honour their warrantees and don't play politics. My original comments were to a fellow that was thinking about purchasing a low end HF TIG welder. He needs to be concerned about dealing with HF. In my post I recommended another USA vender that in my opinion goes out of their way to provide superior product and service. Hopefully at your coffee break today at Harbour Freight you and your co-workers reflect on the real meaning of "customer service" not politics.

Respectfully yours, Pete

Reply to
Pete

I have had no problems getting warranty service from my local HF in Ohio. I also buy their service agreement - usually 10% of the tool purchase price. They've never refused to take back an item I bring back as defective. That service agreement gives me a three year warranty total. I woldn't buy their stuff it I wer a pro but for heavy but occaisional home use the HF tools allow me to have a capability I coun't otherwise afford. I have a dozen or so power tools plus a bunch of hand tools. I have been let down by a set of aviation snips, pry bars, a rotary breaker hammer, and a nail gun. The nail gun was replaced under warranty, the rotary hammer drill died after three years of abuse, and the snips and pry bars were throw aways.

You can get sood stuff at HF but you do have to be selective and recognize that you and not the manufacturer are the quality control on their items.

I think the problem here is that you have to deal with a store bought item in person. At my local they give me the impressiuon that catalog sales are copmpletly independent of one another in tems ot service and retail sales.

Reply to
Steve Mellenthin

Sorry for bursting bubbles, but my HF MIG welder has been working just fine, thank you, for six years. I haven't had anything I've bought from them fail suddenly, just not last as long as I'd like, but when I go into their store, I know what I'm buying and don't expect their $29 saw to stand up to the use I'd give to a Milwaukee.

Greybeard

Reply to
Greybeard

Reply to
Waynemak

LOL You'd think that so long as the card get's OK'd by the computer, that the clerks would have better things to do than check out the provider. But they do look... we got an LL Bean card a couple years ago because it offered some benefits including a double warranty on items purchased. The card is dark green, and has a simple wilderness graphic. Looks a lot like some license plates. Anyway, I started using this card, and all the clerks are oohing and ahhing over it. Starting up conversations about it even. I thought it might be my imagination, but LL Bean withdrew the warranty thing, so we switched cards again, and no more oohs and ahhs. Of course the new one is from AARP, so that could by why the clerks don't even want to make eye contact now. Anyway, it made me think of all those midlife-crisis types buying red Corvettes, when they could be getting better results by switching to a prettier credit card. I smell a marketing opportunity... the "Sugar Daddy Diamond Visa" card. If somebody can think up a good graphic for pussy-whipped, they'll make a fortune. :-)

Wayne

Reply to
wmbjk

Its been said before and many times before that...........Quality is not an issue if you buy HF crap.as it does not exist in any shape form or fashion...........

REMEMBER: "This is worth repeating for benefit of al newbies! Jo Ann asked Dr. Sooooooooooooooooolow to remind people that while she has retired from selling GF (and sold the business to Ken Fischer

she has NOT retired from helping people with sick GF and koi FOR FREE. 251-649-4790 phoning is best for diagnosis. but, can try email put "help sick fish" in subject. Get your fish at Dandy Orandas Dandy Orandas Dandy Orandas........you guys got that DANDY ORANDAS

Reply to
Roy