Hardening A Wrench

I have an offset wrench for my router such as the ones at the bottom of this page:

Actually I have two of these. The first one, even tho clearly marked as 24mm measured closer to 27, and the 2nd, also marked as 24mm measures 25.

The first one I didn't use at all, and the 2nd I used only long enough to find out it's too big. Even with this minimal use tho, the jaws are clearly deformed which makes me think it's made from pretty soft steel.

My thought is to MIG a weld bead along the jaws and then regrind to the correct size.

My question is, would this bead be hard enough to function in this application, or do I need to further harden the whole thing?

If hardening is necessary I'd appreciate a quick how-to, since my memories of this procedure are quite vague.

Reply to
LP

Probably just pond them into shape and work harden them at the same time.

Reply to
bamboo

I would get a real wrench that fits and bend it.

Reply to
wws

"LP" wrote: (clip) My question is, would this bead be hard enough to function in this application, or do I need to further harden the whole thing? (clip) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Couple of thoughts: 1.) A wrench that is oversize is stressed much more than one that fits. Chances are if you weld, grind and pound to make it a close fit to the hex on the router, it will work pretty well. 2. A router collet nut doesn't have to be *super tight* to hold, so if you just snug it up, and then a little more, it will hold fine, and not hurt the wrench. 3.) Since you are capable of modifying the wrench, why not just use it, and do a "touch-up" in case it ever needs it?

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

First I would check to see if I could find a couple of crows foots of the right size and then bend some bar and weld it in place for the handle. Maybe just buy some socket extensions from Harbor Freight.

Or if inexpensive crows foots are not available, hacksaw and file a correctly sized bit and silver solder it to your wrench. ( or mig weld it, but silver solder would be neater ). I think it would be easier to do this then do the mig welding and then have to do the filing or grinding. If you used 1/4 inch thick steel, it would not be likely to deform in use. If you really want hard, use material from a leaf spring.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Buy a metric wrench of the right size, cut handle off near open end wrench part, bend handle to make the second bend. Heat and hammer to get a nice sharp bend then weld onto wrench portion. Any softening of the handle from bending heat shouldn't matter and MIG is fast enough that you should be able to make the weld with out softening the wrench.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

I would tig-weld one side of the wrench opening, file to fit and case harden the wrench. I'd heat and apply the casehardening compound several times to get good penetration then quench in water and draw to a blue color. Engineman

Reply to
engineman1

For me, I'd simply CNC plasma cut one out, bend it, then harden as needed. I just made a dandy 2" for my uncle. I have to turn the wood for the two wood 'grips' - the metal is 3/8" and the tool is maybe 18" - that sucker has heft! I cut two small circles (1/4's really) at the back of the square cutout. These are round so there is lots of place for dirt!

If you need help, let me know. Piece of pie. I'll leave bending and finish up to the end user for their needs.

Martin [ Now Lufkin cutting Edge Design, LLC ] Martin Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH, NRA Life NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder

Ted Edwards wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn