Harold -- Elconite

Fun to work with, eh? I spend most of my time working for a large producer of tungsten and molybdenum bar, sheet, plate and wire. They also have a machining department that makes mostly moly parts, but they do machine tungsten when it's absolutely necessary and grinding isn't possible.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

Heh! Fun, indeed! These were made from 1/8" diameter stock, about three inches long, turned down to .100" in the center, with a 1" radius leading in and out of the cut. Critical requirement that there be no undercut, and the surface was well polished. I ended up converting a small Clausing lathe into a mechanical tracer by spring loading the compound and running a roller bearing against the template. The loose end was run in a captive center, snug slip fit with the material, and positively driven by a tiny set screw. Turned out great, but tool life really suffered. I don't recall the quantity now, but it was in the hundreds.

The balance weights I made required an 80 pitch thread, which I chased single point. I was MUCH younger then. I could actually see the thread, even without a comparator.

If I never machine tungsten again, I'd be OK with that. I'm no longer trying to prove myself to anyone for any reason. It's a bitch to work with----although I think I prefer it to titanium.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos