Headlight delay setting

I don't think this is too far off topic as it involves cars and electricity and wiring so here goes:

Recently I bought a buick, yes I did buy a buick, an '03 Century with low miles in good shape but one thing really gets my goat and that is the headlight off delay when you shut down the car! The headlights stay on for 90 seconds and there apparently is no way to change that! I contacted three local repair shops and three GM dealers for info on how to change this time to zero. Only one dealer called back to say it was not possible to change it! Now who, I say _who_ , is the dumbass who decided that it is a good idea to have the lights act this way? Huh? I'm ready to look into the wiring on this thing and run wires to a toggle switch to shut them off, I'm pissed..... Any ideas out there on what to do? I didn't get any manuals for this car, yet.... but the dealers and auto shops should have one. phil k.

Reply to
Phil Kangas

If it's a timer relay , and it probably is, you can jump it out. If it's software controlled, you will have the pleaseure of walking in a well lit space for 90 seconds rather than the darkness. That's why your lights behave as they do.

A lot of vehicles of this vintage behave this way. The Jap and Korean cars generally have a position on the stalk for instant off.

Reply to
John R. Carroll

On my Oldsmobile, if the lights are still on, and on "AUTO", you flip the switch to "ON" Then back to "AUTO" and they immediately turn off.

Reply to
Cross-Slide

You can most likely download the owners manual from the Buick site. If it's possible to adjust the delay, it should have instructions for doing so. 2003 should be new enough for it to be user programmable. My 2009 F350 has a bunch of user programmable settings for lighting delays and whatnot.

Reply to
Pete C.

Phil, are you sure it doesn't have a slider marked "Twilight Sentinal" on the dash somewhere?

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

You really don't have any other projects on the table more important than this?

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Oh I've got things to work on but this situation is not acceptable to me. It's just plain stupid for a car to sit there stopped with the headlights on for another minute and a half, that's just nuts! And with no way to change the timeout setting? WTF ........ I see a way to do what I want. I just thought someone knew of a nice way to do it but I guess not, people just put up with shit like this. And I got to vent my anger to the world hoping someone who works for GM sees this........and hang their heads in shame... phil

Reply to
Phil Kangas

The one the REALLY got me on my 07 F150 was the auto door lock. These guys must have thought farmers don't use trucks. You get out and shut the door and the vehicle locks you out. Had to go to the dealer for this one.

The seat belt buzzer drives you friggen' nuts. Wish they'd make the damn thing only engage if you're going 40 or more. Anyway, I did find you can buckle and unbuckle the seat belt like 18 times and do something else to turn it off. That is until you pull the battery, then it resets.

I don't like the lights staying on either, I have to watch them go out before locking up and leaving - just me I guess.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Phil Kangas wrote in rec.crafts.metalworking on Fri, 1 Apr 2011 13:29:02 -0400:

I would go for the switch and relay fix.

I'm about to do this to my jeeps dome light. It goes on when you shut the engine off. I figure I will use the jamb switches and a toggle switch to give the standard three choices: on, on when doors open, off.

Reply to
dan

Good to hear I'm not the only one bitching, eih? ;>)} phil

Reply to
Phil Kangas

One man's bug is another man's feature. LOL

Reply to
John R. Carroll

Does someone want to copy this response, so that the OP gets the answer he is asking for?

Here is the answer, and he is complaining that no one knows the answer...

Reply to
Cross-Slide

Does someone want to copy this response, so that the OP gets the answer he is asking for?

Here is the answer, and he is complaining that no one knows the answer...

Holy Whuh Cross Slide! I just logged on to check this thread and found your post and by golly you are right! I went out and tried it and you are right! Thank You man, salute..... ;>)}

3 shops and 3 dealers didn't know to tell me that, heh heh... phil k.
Reply to
Phil Kangas

With Richard Burgi, right? That was a fun show.

P.S: "sentinel"

-- The secret of happiness is to make others believe they are the cause of it. -- Al Batt

Reply to
Larry Jaques

He was so bored he bought a _GM_ vehickull? That's sad.

Obamamobiles, signs of the (ta da!) 21st century!

-- The secret of happiness is to make others believe they are the cause of it. -- Al Batt

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Phil, I'll bet that all the other old fogies driving Buicks are thankful for the delay because they haven't gotten off their lazy asses and changed the bulb in the garage door openers which were supoosed to come on when the door opened and stay on for a minute or so after you closed it so you could see to get into your house.

Ya damned Luddite. ;)

-- The secret of happiness is to make others believe they are the cause of it. -- Al Batt

Reply to
Larry Jaques

"Phil Kangas" wrote in message news:in5svm$548$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me...

Did you come up with this CS or was it Lloyd? I haven't seen that post by Lloyd and so I thought you said it. I'm confused now... Thank you guys anyway for the answer. Do I owe Lloyd a beer now?

Reply to
Phil Kangas

I came up with the answer.

You will have to drink the beer, and describe it. Until you figure out how to email a beer.

Reply to
Cross-Slide

Yah, I'm an offical geezer now, got a cane a buick and a social security check..... ;>)} I can get in and out of this car pretty good, that's why the purchase.

Reply to
Phil Kangas

I came up with the answer.

You will have to drink the beer, and describe it. Until you figure out how to email a beer.

Heh heh, tanks gain eihlL? hic .....

Reply to
Phil Kangas