Headlight delay setting

"Phil Kangas" fired this volley in news:in5upo $9ri$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Yeah, he did. Some of the better-equipped models came out with a slider on the dash called "twilight sentinal" that would set a delay for off, and would auto-on the lights when it got dark.

The lesser-equipped models just had auto-on, and you had to over-ride it... and I plain forgot that.

Email the beer to Cross-Slide.

LLoyd (BTW... have a '97 LeSabre getting _average_ 28.7mpg with ordinary commutes.)

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

This is a lesser model then, gotta do it manual but that's ok. Getting about 27 mpg with this one.

Reply to
Phil Kangas

Don't feel too bad. When I was recovering from a back injury I bought a Ford Pinto with an automatic because it was cheap and easy to get into and out of. I couldn't even turn the wheel in the '72 Scout at the time.

So, have you bought the DVD yet?

-- The secret of happiness is to make others believe they are the cause of it. -- Al Batt

Reply to
Larry Jaques

(...)

Yup. On my Camry, I just flip the knob from 'auto' to 'off' and back to 'auto' again. Lights immediately go out. I've done that so often that it is automatic now.

On the rare occasion that I close the door before turning off the lights, I can just bip the 'lock' button on the key and the lights go out.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Phil,

Glad your problem is solved!

If you want to get a set of 'for real' factory shop manuals for the car, check this outfit:

Check them for an owners manual too.

I always get factory shop manuals for my cars... the two times I bought new, I got the dealers to throw them in as part of the deal. I suggest getting them all, as there will probably be multiple volumes.

I have no personal affiliation or experience with Faxon, but several friends have been more than impressed with them.

Erik

Reply to
Erik

"Erik"

Here's another site for manuals:

Another strange thing I found on this car was the headlight alignment set by the previous owner. The high beam was set up as far as possible and the low beam was set close. Why, I wondered, is it like that? Since the car came from Milwaukee perhaps it was used a lot in heavy traffic and the highs were not used much so were set high to see the highway exit signs? And the low beams low so as to not annoy the car ahead? Maybe........

Reply to
Phil Kangas

Darn, they don't have any manuals for my Tundra. Toyota gets your firstborn, an arm, a leg, and one testicle (plus cash) for them.

-- Not merely an absence of noise, Real Silence begins when a reasonable being withdraws from the noise in order to find peace and order in his inner sanctuary. -- Peter Minard

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Huntin' squirrels. ;) Usually, though, it's because some idiot tried to replace a bulb and turned the adjuster screw instead of removing a headlight surround screw. These brilliant folks don't know enough to return the screw to its original position. I did a whole lot of CHP-approved headlight adjustments back when I had my CA smog license and worked for the body shop.

-- Not merely an absence of noise, Real Silence begins when a reasonable being withdraws from the noise in order to find peace and order in his inner sanctuary. -- Peter Minard

Reply to
Larry Jaques

All you need to do is: after you shut down the engine, pull out, then push in the manual light switch on the dash and the lights turn off.

John

Reply to
JOHN

Auto lock, auto unlock headlight delay and a bunch of other stuff are programmable and listed in the owners manual.

Yes, there is a complex dance documented in the service manual to disable the "belt minder", that was one of the things I did in the first couple weeks of owning the truck, and that was only because the manual was on back order for a week or so.

Just you. I like the delay, it gives me time to get to the door of the house and get the key in the lock before the lights go out. I've got it set for something like 1 min.

Reply to
Pete C.