Hearing protectors work

Monday morning I _tried_ to toss a 10' length of 2" iron pipe over a

6' chain link fence; somehow it bounced back and hit me in the head. It knocked me to my knees and I was stunned for a minute, but no real damage was done. I was wearing my "Mickey Mouse ears" at the time (I was running the snowblower) and later found them on the ground about 8' away from me. Also, I recall a very loud noise when I was struck. I'm convinced that those hearing protectors saved me from a serious injury.

I guess that the moral of the story is that you don't have to wait

30 - 40 years to realize the benefits of wearing hearing protection. Or, maybe, it's that you should be careful when you're tossing 10' lengths of pipe around.

BTW, the hearing protectors (Peltor) seem to have survived with only a scuff mark.

If the lady inquiring about bending pipe is reading this - this method doesn't work too well. The pipe appears to be just as straight as ever.

R, Tom Q.

Reply to
Tom Quackenbush

Hmm. I once lacerated a cornea putting on eye protection.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Well, switch to hearing protection, dammit!

Seriously, how did you manage to do that?

R, Tom Q.

Reply to
Tom Quackenbush

Several years ago my son and I were riding our motorcycles off-road, and we stopped to look at some mushrooms growing next to the trail. He got down on his hands and knees for a closer look--unfortunately, the ground was soft, and his kick-stand sank in, so the bike fell on his head. He was not hurt, because he was wearing a helmet--"Saved by the Bell."

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Glad to hear you are alright. A while ago I found that shooting arrows through a chainlink fence can produce similarly strange phenomena...thankfully no damage to persons nor property.

Say, are you the high powered air rifle Quackenbush?

StaticsJason

Reply to
Statics

No, I believe you're thinking of Dennis Quackenbush, in Missouri:

No relation that I know of.

R, Tom Q.

Reply to
Tom Quackenbush

I guess there wasn't mushroom for parking?

:-p

Reply to
Rick

Groan!

Reply to
Howard R Garner

Richard J Kinch

Righto, thanks for the link.

StaticsJason

Reply to
Statics

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 05:16:22 GMT, "Leo Lichtman" wrote something ......and in reply I say!:

I have had a more embarrassing one. I parked on a sloping car park...facing downhill. Everything was OK until went I to remount the bike. It waited until I had my leg half over the saddle, then rolled forward off the side stand and fell over away from me. The carppark was crowded as well....ahhh youth!

**************************************************** sorry remove ns from my header address to reply via email

Imagine a _world_ where Nature's lights are obscured by man's. There would be nowhere to go. Or wait a while. Then you won't have to imagine.

Reply to
Old Nick

I dropped mine once by accidentally greasing a bit of my tire instead of my chain. 2 miles an hour in front of my apartment building. Karl

Reply to
Karl Vorwerk