Help with CA Propane OPD exemptions anyone?

I can't find any links, but not from lack of searching...

I need to find the California rules for marking a non-OPD propane cylinder exempt for "Industrial Use" so it can be filled, and I can't find that information anywhere. I have several older barbecue bottles that are fine for use with my weed-burner, but nobody will fill them.

(Except for one 30-pounder with a Visible Jr. level gauge on it, but that bugger's heavy...)

I have an asphalt patch to put the top coat on next week, so I'll need the weed burner working to heat the patching asphalt that's in the hole now (settling) and the top coat of patch mix so the top coat sticks.

I'm told using any high flow torch on a OPD tank with a flow restrictor in the POL valve is an exercise in frustration...

That, and the barbecue just might come in handy for cooking on in the next earthquake if we have enough fuel on hand for it - and one

30-pounder won't go far.

----

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

I am unsure if finding the regs would help. What you really need is to ask the various propane distributors what they think is needed. If they say that a stencil is adequate, then they will fill the tank. If the regs say a stencil is adequate, the distributor may or may not fill the tank.

Large tanks are exempt, so you could get a large tark filled and then transfer propane to a smaller tank that is more convienent to use. As far as I know this is legal as long as you don't transport the smaller tank over public roads.

Dan

Reply to
Dan Caster

I can't speak for Ca, but here in PA, my commercial propane supplier has no problem filling our company's non OPD tanks (20lbs)

Reply to
Jon Grimm

My propane dealer said the regs state a non OPD can be filled by labeling the bottle " Welding Gas" Lots of industry uses propane instead of acetylene these days and this lets the bottles get filled.

Kent

Reply to
Kent Fowler

I just went to my local welding supply today, who also has a propane filling station - and they gave me a different slant - "We can't fill the non-OPD bottles here ourselves, but we can exchange them like for like." My guess is that they have to fill them by weight so there's no chance of going over.

Gee, It'd be nice to ask a simple question and get a straight answer once in a while... :-P

So I gave up - went to Harbor Fright and got a torch (On Special, even!), and used a regular OPD tank for the torch - and it didn't try to choke off.

Of course, I didn't try slamming the trigger wide open and holding it there either, 2/3 open (with a nice afterburner roar) was more than enough heat for warming up a 6" x 4' patch so the finish coat tamped down nice and flat. A little blacktop coating and it'll disappear.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

If I have a time slot, I'll try my torch - the one for my furnace.

I find it hard to believe it won't clamp on it. It uses gas!

Martin

Reply to
Eastburn