Help with poem

Something today triggered a line from a poem read as a kid MANY years ago. " The puffin had a muffin, the Owl a little fowl, and Griffin for his tiffen ate the Puffin and the Owl"

OK ! What is the name of the poem and where can I find the rest of it? I've done the Google and Wikepidea bit with absolutely no hits. It's things like this that bug me about gettin old. :-( Thanks for any clues. ...lew...

Reply to
Lew Hartswick

p53. Likely not it but I gave it a shot.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Sounds kinda like Ogden Nash---but I don't have his book anymore-- Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Wass

Nope not it but a lot of others I remember. :-) thanks. ...lew...

Reply to
Lew Hartswick

Not Nash's style I don't think, something more Victorian. What context do you know what you know of it from, Wes?

It's interesting that putting the words "puffin muffin griffin tiffen owl" into google gets nothing useful at all.

Dave "WTF is a 'tiffen', anyway?" Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Ah, found something:

Goldstone, Bruce. The Beastly Feast, 1998.

The table is all arranged for the beasts to have their feast and each creature brings a dish that rhymes. Puffins bring muffins and moose bring juice, and so on, until a plethora of animals have an assortment of delectable delicacies to choose from.

from:

Dave Hinz

SNIP

My Collins dictionary says it is "a light meal taken at midday."

Reply to
Brian Lawson

I think it's like meal you know "dinner" . ...lew...

Reply to
Lew Hartswick

FWIW I have several (5) Ogden Nash books and I looked through all of them. No luck, nothing even close going by the titles, which are pretty descriptive. He did publish some Children's books though that I don't have and I'm not familiar with. It may have been in one of those.

Reply to
Leon Fisk

sounds awfully like something out of Dr Seuss. I'm sure I've read it to the kids.(20 years ago)

Stealth Pilot

Reply to
Stealth Pilot

No. For sure this was long before Dr Suess was published. Probably in the 40s. when I was in grade school. About the time I read Alice in Wonderland. etc. :-) ...lew... ps. I read most of Dr Suess to daughter much later. ..l..

Reply to
Lew Hartswick