Hand soap--roll yer own

Quite by accident I discovered a really good cleaner for greasy hands--- one squirt Lava (w/pumice) plus one squirt Cheap glycerine soap (general purpose soap found in Dollar stores & the like)

Works a whole lot better than 2 0r 3 squirts of either one separately.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Wass

Dawn dish soap does a good job for me. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

On Sun, 09 Dec 2007 03:57:35 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Jerry Wass quickly quoth:

Dollar store GP liquid hand soaps?

Have you mixed them in a single bottle yet?

I've found that before doing greasy mechanical work, if I squirt a bit of diswashing detergent on my hands and rub them together, then wipe them off, it leaves soap in the pores and makes it a whole lot easier to get any further grime off them later that day.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Cheapest no-scent shampoo the drugstore sells (or whatever you can cage from SWMBO). Shampoo, after all, is made for getting oily dirt out. Works like a charm for shop crud, too. One of the few things I've found that works for getting polishing residue off your hands without scrubbing with a brush.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

That also works well when installing fiberglass insulation.

Jim Wilkins

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Jim Wilkins wrote in article ...

Pre-treatment with spray-on aniti-perspirant blocks the pores and helps keep the glass strands from catching onto the skin in the first place.

Reply to
*

I'll definitely give the cheap soap/Lava a try. One thing to check with your favorite soap is whether it wants water or not. We use TKO from ZEP at work and it always cuts greasy dirt best if I wet my hands before putting on the soap, while a mechanic friend uses the big yellow bottles (sorry, I'm drawing a blank on the brand) and it cuts grease way better if you start with the soap, scrub away, and then only add water at the end to rinse. Dawn doesn't seem to care either way. I always seem to remember the gloves or pretreatment with soap trick just after I've touched the first really greasy, grungy part I have to work on, sigh :-). I definitely second the shampoo, as well. It seems that no matter how much I scrub and brush under my fingernails they don't really finish getting clean until the next time I shampoo my hair.

-- Regards, Carl Ijames carl dott ijames aat verizon dott net (remove nospm or make the obvious changes before replying)

Reply to
Carl Ijames

Best I've found is Boraxo powdered hand soap. Wet hands first, sprinkle power on hands, wring hands together for awhile, rinse.

I bought a powered soap dispenser and mounted it to the wall over the utility sink.

SWMBO also likes it for cleaning her hands after a hard day of gardening.

and .

Or, the in-a-can version, also available in most grocery stores: .

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

Try Lava Pro Orange and you will toss all the rest. Best stuff I have ever used and I have tried most of them. It's a little hard to find in my area, but can be found online. Well worth the trouble to mail order.

Randal

Reply to
Randal O'Brian

Hi Carl,

To get under the nails, try using the brush that surgeons use:

bought a pack of a dozen, kept one in the shop, the lab, each bathroom, the kitchen, gave one to each of the girls to use in school, and gave a few away. Liked 'em so much that I bought two more packs a few months ago.

Best -- Terry

Reply to
Terry

On Sun, 9 Dec 2007 08:20:29 -0800 (PST), with neither quill nor qualm, Jim Wilkins quickly quoth:

Ah, good tip. I'll have to remember to soap up me whole bod before doing any insulation installations in the future.

-- Smokey the Bear's rules for fire safety should apply to government: Keep it small, keep it in a confined area, and keep an eye on it. --John Stossel in _Myths, Lies, and Downright Stupidity_

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Thanks for the tip, Terry. I've ordered a dozen and after I test one I'll use some as door prizes at our next Buick car club meeting :-).

-- Regards, Carl Ijames carl dott ijames aat verizon dott net (remove nospm or make the obvious changes before replying)

Reply to
Carl Ijames

plain baking soda works great for getting grease off hands, if you get it just wet enough to make a paste that doesn't run. Finish off with whatever soap you prefer. It doesn't dry your skin, or tear into it, and has no smell that lingers.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Lava is good. I generally use Dawn at home, but I recently scored about 5 gallon dispensers of GoJo Orange...

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner