treat yer own wood

I need to construct three special skids that will sit outside. They will be made of plain old pine wood I have on hand. It would be nice for them to not rot out right away :)

My supply of penta has run out. Any replacements for a wood preservative? Should I have the wood painted - I have a large supply of barn paint.

P.S, very reluctantly, I have become a beekeeper. I can't rent bees anymore. I need to learn here. Any help, especially on varroa mite control, would be appreciated.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

If you aint got anything else, then sump oil will do the job.

Andrew VK3BFA.

Reply to
vk3bfa

Best be beating a path to your County Extension office

Used motor oil works well enough for wood preservative, least for a while.

ethelyne glycol and sodium borate are the base components of most wood preservatives. If you scrounge up something commercial...be aware that most have bug killers in them.

Not a good idea to be housing your bees on skids treated with bug killer......

Then of course..there is creosote.....

Gunner

Gunner Asch

=2E..

Pallets last a long time if they are blocked up off the ground on treated wood or landscaping timbers.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 05:29:30 -0700 (PDT), with neither quill nor qualm, Jim Wilkins quickly quoth:

Um, treated wood or landscaping timber SKIDS, Jim? ;)

-- Change is the process by which the future invades our lives. -- Alvin Toffler

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Presumably this is just the ground contact base that the pre-fab hive boxes will sit on. Use the plastic lumber like Trex or similar. It should be non toxic to your new bees and survive ground contact just fine. It's not considered structural generally, but your intended use should be well within it's capabilities. It also cuts and works just fine with normal woodworking tools.

Reply to
Pete C.

Bee's are a real hot item these days. My SIL and daughter both have started hives in the last year, for their own use. Thieves are targeting hives . There were quite a few hives left up here (MT) for the winter presumably for health reasons. I haven't heard the results.

The local lumber yards have all sorts of treated lumber available, the local post yard has a treating plant too. CCA at a rate (5%?) for for direct contact would be my choice. ED

Reply to
ED

I guess you haven't been paying attention the last few years. CCA no longer exists, replaced by ACQ which eats fasteners for breakfast.

Reply to
Pete C.

Can you even get creosote?

I haven't seen anything better yet.

Tom

Reply to
Tom M

On Mar 30, 10:07=A0am, Larry Jaques wrot:

So bevel the ends. I have a skid made of pallets on railroad ties that I dragged into place with a tractor.

I haven't had a problem with hot-dipped hardware in ACQ wood, even on the ends of my woodpiles where the pallets and treated wood bracing get wet. Electro-galvanized lag screws rust badly in a few years, though.

Jim Wilkins

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Actually I use quite a lot of CCA treated products on a semi regular basis. $30K's+ last year . 1.5 miles of split 3 rail fence all CCA treated. Will do close to that again this year..

CCA treated lumber is to be sold for industrial, commercial and agricultural use only. Only if final use is non-residential ie not for decks, porches ect.

Be aware some cows died after eating grass that grew where some CCA treated posts ends had been burned.. it was the arsenic in the treat that killed em. Do not burn CCA treated lumber..

I have yet use the ACQ which I read specs ceramic coated fastners or some such. ED

Reply to
ED

The best that we have used is "Woodlife" for brush blocks used as shoe cleaners on golf courses and other wet applications. They last for years!

-Good shit Maynard!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

nwith normal woodworking tools.

Says he who has never replaced 75 cedar 4x4's bedded in cement. Our clay soil holds water like a sponge. Cedar rots out in a matter of years.

Reply to
RoyJ

Well, actually cedar does rot. Just not as readily as some of the other species.

42
Reply to
42

Gunner

Gunner Asch

You make boot cleaning brushes that one can bolt down to the deck?

Hummm...time for me to check your website again.....

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Ceramic, stainless, triple galvanized, etc. Simpson has good info on dealing with the ACQ stuff on their site.

Reply to
Pete C.

On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 09:47:14 -0700 (PDT), with neither quill nor qualm, Jim Wilkins quickly quoth:

I keyed on the fact that you referred to buying what he said he wanted to build. Never mind.

Yeah, they should be triple dipped if galv is used. I need to go review a couple projects from last year where I used the Simpson galv plates in direct contact with ACQ lumber.

I now have a stock of the properly finished screws for ACQ use.

-- Books are the compasses and telescopes and sextants and charts which other men have prepared to help us navigate the dangerous seas of human life. --Jesse Lee Bennett

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Or use a wood like cedar which doesn't rot.

nick hull

On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 17:39:45 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "Tom Gardner" quickly quoth:

I like Wolman products/wood, but want to note that Woodlife is an anti-fungal agent, not a termiticide. It'll kill the teensy bugs but not the bigger, toothier models.