Re: G Scale Ties

On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 19:58:15 UTC, "David" wrote: 2000

I want to hand lay some G scale track. I am going to use code 250 nickel > silver rail and I want to make my own ties. What should I make the ties out > of? Cedar? Redwood? What dimensions should they be?

Prototype mainline ties are approximately 7" x 9" by 8' or 8' - 6".

Reply to
Ernie Fisch

Since G guage is not 'mainline' but is narrow guage you need to reduce that length to 6' or 6'6" Divide the dimensions by 20 to get the scale size.

Indoors you can use softwood, outdoors better to use hardwood and treat with preservative. Keith

Make friends in the hobby. Keith Visit Garratt photos for the big steam lovers.

Reply to
Keith Norgrove

It can be mainline (1:32), 3 foot NG (1:20.3) or quasi-scale in between (1:24, etc.)

If you go with hardwood (inside or out), spiking the rail can be a true pain. Pressure-treated is almost impossible to spike easily.

Reply to
Rusty

1:32 is I scale and Gauge.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

gives you more room for longer spikes. Unless you're a rivet counter, which is common in the larger scales, no one will notice whether it's main line, narrow gauge or whatever, trust me. As to the wood, cedar and redwood are the most rot resistant and easiest to work, but are expensive unless you get scraps from a fence maker which I do. You need to have a table saw to cut them, obviously. Expect a fair amount of waste. Pine works well, as do most hardwoods, but whatever you choose, soak them for a day in a wood preservative after you cut them. Paint or dye them as you see fit. Drill a hole for each spike, slightly smaller than the spike. Press the spike into the wood with a pair of needle nose pliers,then tap it home with a punch and hammer. There are infinite variations on this technique... you might find one that works better for you. Code 250 track is not as robust as code

332, but NS is tough stuff so you should be OK.

Don

Reply to
Don

I'd use soft white pine for my ties and I'd suggest that you do also. I've used redwood (logging railroad) and that worked well although there were occasional breakages with some of the more knotty wood. I'd also cut them to half height unless you are doing really rough trackwork as the ballast will cover the bottom half of the ties but that is your choice. With the pine, a dark stain will quickly make the ties look right and you will want to stain them first in a bucket and then, after laying the ties down, sand the tops and restain to get the color back.

-- Bob May Losing weight is easy! If you ever want to lose weight, eat and drink less. Works evevery time it is tried!

Reply to
Bob May