So if I model the Klaatu, Borado, & Nikto RR...

...am I a model railroader or a railroad modeler?

Are we getting a little too technical in defining this neat passtime we call model railroading when we start asking if a guy like George Sellios is a model railroader or not because his trains do not run very well?

If you don't think he is a model railroder let me ask you if he sells a model railroad product (Fine Scale Miniatures). He doesn't sell model railroad locomotives or freight cars so by the logic expressed in an earlier thread he is not a model railroad product manufacturer?

Of course he is a model railroader. Take your bias against his over detailing out of the picture, he might be MORE of a model railroader because he has not overloaded his layout with track. In real life what's the ratio of track to scenery? More scenery or more track?

Jim

Reply to
Jim Stanton

Did you mean: Klaatu, Barada, & Nikto

Reply to
Corelane

I hope the new Genesis model of Gort doesn't have cast on grab irons.

Good point about the track to scenery ratio, I hadn't thought of that.

CBix

Reply to
Charles Bix

Whatever you wish!!

But I think if you make the railroad name a little more pronounceable.... :-)

Reply to
Steve Hoskins

Jim,

Boy that brings back memories. I wonder if Blockbuster has a copy. Thanks for the reminder.

Regards,

Britt Harrington, Miami, Florida

Reply to
FBritt

Well KBN has a nice 'ring' to it !

David.

Reply to
David F.

That's how I've been answering my phone for the last couple years. I find that telemarketers will hang up. My friends and relatives just roll their eyes and start talking.

CGM

Reply to
CowGoesMoo

"Karl Bing Nürnberg" - probably the first mass producer of tinplate toy trains.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

When they call and ask for me I go silent for a couple seconds, pretend to sniffle and sob a little. Then I blurt out "he died last week" and hang up and go back to what I was doing before they called.

Keeps em on their toes.

CBix

Reply to
Charles Bix

I think the origin of that "name" escapes some of the people on this newsgroup. I do suppose that one of the cities on the layout would be called Gort though!

Reply to
Slingblade

I guessed at some science fiction book that I haven't read. As soon as I get through all the railway books I'll branch out!

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

Try "The Day The Earth Stood Still", starring Michael Rene as Klaatu. I don't know that there was ever a book version. A classic Sci-Fi movie with an actual storyline.

Reply to
Slingblade

Long Live Politzania!

Reply to
Charles Bix

The usual warning about Mankind being on a Self-Destruct course!

David.

Reply to
David F.

which, ironically happened to be on last night

Reply to
Slingblade