Container Crane and Ship

Hi all,
Does anyone know where I might be able to find a container carrying ship and dock-side crane in N scale. My searches on the net have proved fruitless.
Thanks in advance.
Matt
On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 11:35:46 -0000, "Matt Sharp"

The size of these things means there would likely be very few customers. But plenty of photos here, <http://members.tripod.com/shumsw/ choose one to build. Keith
Make friends in the hobby. Visit <http://www.grovenor.dsl.pipex.com/ Garratt photos for the big steam lovers.

Remember to leave enough room in layout design, too. A PanaMax container ship works out at about 1.95m long in 2mm/' - just a touch under 6'6". You're also going to need to budget for a /lot/ of containers :)
Coastal ships should be easier.
--
Andy Breen ~ Not speaking on behalf of the University of Wales....
Nieveler's law: "Any USENET thread, if sufficiently prolonged and not
wrote:

and
fruitless.
Matt you have not read Andrew's post correctly. He is saying that in N Gauge i.e. near 2mm scale the ship will be 6'6"
Joe
wrote:

ship

How long would a mainline station platform be if it was built to true scale?
(kim)
That's the problem with this hobby - never enough room!!

scale?

We don't model scale radius curves or scale length platforms so there is no reason why your ship should be scale length. Whatever looks good to you is near enough.
(kim)

scale?
As long as twelve 70ft coaches, about 11 ft (assuming scale coupling), there are stations that have longer platforms but most of those stations would need a considerable width which would almost rule out their modelling.

19 coaches where I live and not especially wide. The station was rebuilt from a much shorter (and interesting) one in 1962 just in time for BR to start reducing the average length of its trains. It occurs to me that much of the passenger traffic must have been lost to road during the three years it took to rebuild the station leaving us with a very expensive white elephant.
(kim)

years
That wouldn't be the station serving 'The Home of the British car industry' would it? If so I think the platforms are (or were designed) that length so that two or more trains can occupy a single platform, if you have the length it's an easy way to double the capacity of the station.

Used to be. Production was already being transferred from Coventy to other cities before the new station was commisioned. As you already know not one the companies did any good after they moved and the same will be true for Jaguar. (Had to get that one in). Only one car factory (Hillman-Humber) was ever served by rail and that line was severed after the station was electrified. There were plans as far back as 1937 to build a rail yard at Standard-Triumph but they were abandoned when production was transferred to Speke in Liverpool.

At the time rebuilding commenced in 1959 BR were indeed running 19-coach trains on the London-Birmingham route. The original station had only two narrow platforms of 185 yards length. The new station had four much wider platforms each able to accomodate 19-coaches. The principal reason for the rebuilding was so that the Queen wouldn't be photographed in the bombed out remains of the old station when she arrived to open the new cathedral in 1962 as she had been when she laid the foundation stone in 1953. I believe the city council paid for the rebuild rather than BR but I'm not sure about that?
(kim)

Surely one of the Rootes Group (later Chrysler) had some sort of dedicated container terminal for car components to/from Linwood which was certainly in action in the early 1970s. Was it perhaps Gosford Green, the trains running to Linwood in Central Scotland ? The branch used to curve off the Nuneaton line towards the centre of the city as I remember it. I was always surprised that the various Triumph plants around Canley didn't have some form of rail access, as they were next to the main line. Brian

The Rootes factory was known as Humber locally. It had it's own siding at Humber Road which was very close to the Gosford Green goods depot. The line originally ran from Nuneaton to Rugby so as to bypass Coventry station. When the line between Rugby and Coventry was electrified the junction to Rugby was severed to prevent steam engines running under the wires. It has since been lifted completely. The former Rootes factory is now owned by Peugot and makes the top selling 206.

You and every local rail historian! The LMS even purchased spare land either side of the line for the purpose but it was never used. The Carbodies (London Taxi International) is right next to the Coventry-Nuneaton line as also was the Alvis factory but neither made direct use of rail transport. Daimler Halt was on the same line but used only for commuting.
(kim)
Several years ago, Model Railroader had an interesting article on building a container port module.
See below for another module based on the original 1991 article.
http://www.geocities.com/portoflosangeleslayout /
-- Cheers Roger T.

One platform at Bradford Forster Square was lengthened around 1990 to accommodate the Eurostar on through runs from Paris...
I remember riding a Summer Saturday Bournemeouth-Bradford train (via the Great Central) in 1963. Steam hauled, with 10 coaches (requiring a banker outside Halifax), it was too long for several stations including Penistone, Halifax and Bradford Exchange. At other times I would change to an electric hauled train at Sheffield and a DMU at Penistone.
--
Martin S.

:::Jerry:::: wrote:
> As long as twelve 70ft coaches, about 11 ft (assuming scale coupling), there

A bit off topic but have a look at
http://www.churnet-valley-railway.co.uk/news.htm
(half way down) to see how the Churnet Valley Railway is hanging a platform above a canal to get the necessary width.
Dave W.
Oh, that's a problem, however for those which are interested I found these people http://www.searails.com They have a container ship which they say is N gauge and is 30" long I make that to be well under 3ft - I guess it's a model of smaller container ship... they also do a fantastic crane but at 200 dollars for the ship and another 200 for the crane, this is going to cost a fortune!! Anybody know of the same but cheaper!?
Matt
wrote:

container
about

is
200
Plasticard, KSmetals and a Google for some pictures of container ships ?....
Ok, Ok, I'll get my coat ! :~)

That'd be for a Panamax, which are pretty much the biggest of the beasts.

4' gives you roughly a 600' ship in N, which is good enough for an Atlantic-trade box boat or for an elegantly compressed Panamax (after all, track layouts get compressed, stations get compressed - I'd say it was legit to do a bit of scaling on the ship.
I still reckon the big financial impact might be all the containers needed.
--
Andy Breen ~ Interplanetary Scintillation Research Group
http://users.aber.ac.uk/azb /