Container Crane and Ship

Reply to
David Costigan

19 coaches where I live and not especially wide. The station was rebuilt from a much shorter (and interesting) one in 1962 just in time for BR to start reducing the average length of its trains. It occurs to me that much of the passenger traffic must have been lost to road during the three years it took to rebuild the station leaving us with a very expensive white elephant.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

That wouldn't be the station serving 'The Home of the British car industry' would it? If so I think the platforms are (or were designed) that length so that two or more trains can occupy a single platform, if you have the length it's an easy way to double the capacity of the station.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Several years ago, Model Railroader had an interesting article on building a container port module.

See below for another module based on the original 1991 article.

-- Cheers Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Roger T.

A bit off topic but have a look at

(half way down) to see how the Churnet Valley Railway is hanging a platform above a canal to get the necessary width.

Dave W.

Reply to
Dave Westerman

Used to be. Production was already being transferred from Coventy to other cities before the new station was commisioned. As you already know not one the companies did any good after they moved and the same will be true for Jaguar. (Had to get that one in). Only one car factory (Hillman-Humber) was ever served by rail and that line was severed after the station was electrified. There were plans as far back as 1937 to build a rail yard at Standard-Triumph but they were abandoned when production was transferred to Speke in Liverpool.

At the time rebuilding commenced in 1959 BR were indeed running 19-coach trains on the London-Birmingham route. The original station had only two narrow platforms of 185 yards length. The new station had four much wider platforms each able to accomodate 19-coaches. The principal reason for the rebuilding was so that the Queen wouldn't be photographed in the bombed out remains of the old station when she arrived to open the new cathedral in

1962 as she had been when she laid the foundation stone in 1953. I believe the city council paid for the rebuild rather than BR but I'm not sure about that?

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Surely one of the Rootes Group (later Chrysler) had some sort of dedicated container terminal for car components to/from Linwood which was certainly in action in the early 1970s. Was it perhaps Gosford Green, the trains running to Linwood in Central Scotland ? The branch used to curve off the Nuneaton line towards the centre of the city as I remember it. I was always surprised that the various Triumph plants around Canley didn't have some form of rail access, as they were next to the main line. Brian

Reply to
BH Williams

One platform at Bradford Forster Square was lengthened around 1990 to accommodate the Eurostar on through runs from Paris...

I remember riding a Summer Saturday Bournemeouth-Bradford train (via the Great Central) in 1963. Steam hauled, with 10 coaches (requiring a banker outside Halifax), it was too long for several stations including Penistone, Halifax and Bradford Exchange. At other times I would change to an electric hauled train at Sheffield and a DMU at Penistone.

Reply to
MartinS

The Rootes factory was known as Humber locally. It had it's own siding at Humber Road which was very close to the Gosford Green goods depot. The line originally ran from Nuneaton to Rugby so as to bypass Coventry station. When the line between Rugby and Coventry was electrified the junction to Rugby was severed to prevent steam engines running under the wires. It has since been lifted completely. The former Rootes factory is now owned by Peugot and makes the top selling 206.

You and every local rail historian! The LMS even purchased spare land either side of the line for the purpose but it was never used. The Carbodies (London Taxi International) is right next to the Coventry-Nuneaton line as also was the Alvis factory but neither made direct use of rail transport. Daimler Halt was on the same line but used only for commuting.

(kim)

Reply to
kim