treat yer own wood

Or put strips of plastic on the undersides of the pinewood skids. I've seen spiral-cut long pieces from plastic barrels used on sled runners.

Reply to
James Waldby

It always amazes me, the sheer number of people who don't read the original message. Karl said he has the material, he does not want to go buy different material. He did not directly ask, but would seem interested in product(s) that could be applied to extend the life of what he does have, so those recommendations are on topic.

Karl, if you can prop your framework up on some cement blocks or similar to keep them out of the dirt and allow them to dry between rains, it will help a lot. Use enough blocks so things don't sag between bearing points. Paint will help, but requires recoating and maintenance. Coating with emulsified tar isn't bad.

Reply to
DanG

Thanks, I'll get some. then paint over it with solvent paint

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

I read it, don't have a good direct answer, and suggested a different free material, pallets. Old motor oil hasn't worked for me. It doesn't soak in very far and the wood rots from within. In fact, several pieces of CCA-treated wood that were under my woodpiles for several years have deteriorated. They look like hundreds of bugs each took out a bite before dying.

If I want a small piece of wood such as a pulley wheel to last outdoors, I boil it in paraffin wax. The heat drives out the water, then the wax soaks in deep as it cools. That might be practical for the feet of your beehive supports.

My wax heater is a small pot with an electric element built into the bottom. There's a definite fire hazard using an open flame or possibly even a hotplate.

Jim Wilkins

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Or black locust. Fence posts last about 50 yrs. ...lew...

Reply to
Lew Hartswick

Aint that the truth. :-) ...lew...

Reply to
Lew Hartswick

On Mar 30, 1:39=A0pm, "Tom Gardner" wrote: =2E..

Did you try Thompson's Waterseal, and if so was it any good? I got a deal on several dented cans. The treated wood looks fine but 2 years isn't much of a test.

Jim Wilkins

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 16:44:40 -0600, with neither quill nor qualm, Lew Hartswick quickly quoth:

Was that a question, Lew?

-- Books are the compasses and telescopes and sextants and charts which other men have prepared to help us navigate the dangerous seas of human life. --Jesse Lee Bennett

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Most golf courses make their own frame like: "_|__|_ " (end view) from 2x8 and pinned to the ground. The brushes we would make get screwed in the bottom and sides of the uprights. The brushes are standard 7" long by 2-1/2" wide with stainless steel wire. We would soak the brushes in Woodlife for a few days. They would last until the wire wore out, sometimes for years.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Did you try Thompson's Waterseal, and if so was it any good? I got a deal on several dented cans. The treated wood looks fine but 2 years isn't much of a test.

Jim Wilkins

Someone once told me that Thompson's is just paraffin dissolved in a solvent. It hasn't performed for me very well over the years in the applications I have used it for.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

I didn't read it that way...it's something about something else.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 03:47:44 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "Tom Gardner" quickly quoth:

Hayseuss Crisco! It went over your head, too? Actually, it was a double entendre. First, he asked a question and ended it with a period, not a question mark. Second, it pointed out the irony of the masses. Too many people hear what they want to hear respond to the questions in themselves rather than reading the question and answering it for the OP.

You've got to get out more, Tawm. ;)

-- Some days, it's not even worth chewing through the restraints.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I see my attempt at jocularity fell short, I was being vague in the mater of perception of the obvious.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

There is a hyperlink on that page for control... Since it is a food stuff, some things won't work out of our heads.

That looked like the page to read Karl.

Martin

Mart> I need to construct three special skids that will sit outside. They will be

Martin H. Eastburn

On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 16:30:40 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "Tom Gardner" quickly quoth:

See? You shouldn't have bought it at Wally World.

Bbbut, isn't that what you always do, Tawm?

-- Books are the compasses and telescopes and sextants and charts which other men have prepared to help us navigate the dangerous seas of human life. --Jesse Lee Bennett

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Careful Tom. 'Obvious' to these clowns is kin to a "2 x 4 up agin the side o' their heads.

Bob Swinney

I see my attempt at jocularity fell short, I was being vague in the mater of perception of the obvious.

Reply to
Robert Swinney