Here we go again: PVC PIPE FOR AIR SUPPLY LINES

I don't know about Chicago, but the air here has about 21% Oxygen.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Pex is easy to use. I recently had to add a faucet to my Wife's shop. All the plumbing is in the crawl space so it was easy to tap into the existing copper pipe using brass fittings that are made to be used with either Pex or copper pipe. The fittings atre removable using a horseshoe shaped tool that come 3 in a package for less than a buck. I left the tools on the Pex after the installation so they would be there when I need to add some more plumbing down the road. I have been thinking about using large diameter Pex for air in my shop. I don't know how big it comes though. I want at least 1 1/2 ID. Eric

Reply to
etpm

PEX is possible.

The special Air rated PVC is made for piping up chemical refineries where regular steel pipe would dissolve in weeks and they have to use Plastic and Fiberglas and Stainless to build the whole place. And AIUI it's HELLACIOUS EXPENSIVE. Not for the price averse.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman (munged human

"Bruce L. Bergman wrote

Another one for comment:

I've been using grey plastic electrical conduit for projects. It's cheap, machines nicely and the thick wall permits strong threads. Is it any good for pressure?

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote in news:3s8rc752lok7mli6oejji4c1j0hjk6m7to@

4ax.com:

Perhaps a nice plaid?

I'd be really nervous about painting PVC pipe with any sort of solvent based paint. It reminds me too much of what happens when you use cyanoacrylate glue/threadlocker on Lexan. Not a pretty thing, but at least it fails quickly.

Doug White

Reply to
Doug White

cyanoacrylate glue works fine on Lexan.

Ignoramus31958

On 2011-11-24, California Rocket Scientist

Reply to
Ignoramus31958

I've used it too. But take care. Crazing is a possibility.

Reply to
California Rocket Scientist

Dow rates the resistance of polycarbonates to cyanoacrylates as poor.

pg 12 Take care with the threadlockers as well.

California Rocket Scientist

Then it's low on Oxygen. That explains a LOT!!! ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

There you go, spoiling all their full of learning by making mistakes! :)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Some have to lose body parts before they listen to experience. :(

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I haven't run into that yet, but I am a newby to compressed air, only had a compressor for about 4 years and just learning what I've been missing, dammit! Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

"Michael A. Terrell" on Thu, 24 Nov 2011

15:15:37 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

While the smart person learns form their mistakes - the wise person learns form other's mistakes. Besides, They can't make them all.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

"Michael A. Terrell" on Thu, 24 Nov 2011

20:25:03 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Nothing like someone saying, "Well dang, I didn't think it would blow up like the first time."

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

And 'I didn't need BOTH eyes, anyway.'

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Of course, since a lot of mistakes are fatal.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

The Parker Store clerk sold me some reinforced clear tubing for the return line on my hydraulic loader. Six years later it's still flexible.

may have been real Tygon which doesn't need soluble plasticizers to remain flexible.
jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

It looks like that stuff is made of polyethylene. If so, it can't be solvent welded and you will probably have to use hot air or hot wire to weld it together.

Reply to
Mike Henry

The reason pros use them is they pack more power into a smaller lighter unit, good ones last forever, there is NO shock hazard, and no spark hazard when working around fuel vapours etc.

You can have my air impact when you can pry it out od my cold dead hands - along with my air ratchet and drill.

The electric impact? I returned it after the first time I tried to use it . total waste of money and effort.

Reply to
clare