Fix that works for Water Hammer and noisy pipes

Fix for Water Hammer and noisy pipes from an added bathroom. The problem is high water pressure of 80 psi which also is at the limit where a pressure reducer is required by the plumbing code.

I understand that pressure reducing valves are expensive at $75 on up (plus labor) and only lasts a few years (3-5) at best.

Tried installing a $7 0.5 inch globe valve (from HD) to that bath. It started leaking around the handle after about 7 months and there are no adjustments and it really did not work that well.

Removed the globe valve from the 0.5 inch pipe in inserted a 36 inch x 0.5 inch metal rod in the pipe and reassembled. My theory was that the pipe must have been slightly over-size because the chain link gate closer - 0.5 inch (measured with a tape) galvanized rod fit easily. The massive amount of friction created by this rod prevented the pipe noise. If anything I could have made it longer - or used MORE pieces and still gotten adequate water for the shower. In the future that will be my first choice over adding 40 feet of pipe for friction or using a pressure reducing valve. I like the higher pressure in other parts of the system such as outdoor hoses etc.

Reply to
Mikie

Why didn't you just use a homemade water-hammer arrester -- a piece of pipe the next size larger than the feed line, typically 18" to 24" long, capped on one end and open to the feed line on the other, on the other side of the valve? It's been the commonest thing for handling water hammer for most of a century. Look online; you'll see how they're arranged.

I made a pair of them for my shower 30 years ago. They still work perfectly.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

He might already have arrestors that have become waterlogged.

I'd first try setting the hot water heater to 'Pilot', shutting off the water and opening all indoor faucets and outdoor hose bibs. Allow the water to drain. Don't forget to also flush the toilets, and cycle the washing machine on to attempt a warm fill for 30 seconds or so. Same deal for a dishwasher if you have one.

The object is to drain the fresh water water system, and allow the water hammer arrestors to refill with air. Once air 'sucking' sounds have ceased it's drained sufficiently. (Note that opening the outdoor hose bibs is important, as they allow a low point for the fresh water system to drain.)

Turn the water back on, then go around turning off valves. There will be some hissing and spitting for a while as the air bleeds out of the system. Turn the hot water heater back to 'On' and see if the problem isn't solved. Total cost (other 10 minutes of time) is free.

I do my place every time I need to shut off the water for whatever. If I go longer than about 2 1/2 years without doing it, a little water hammer starts at the back yard hose bib... In that case I just go ahead and do a drain cycle.

Try it! It very well might solve your issue. I'm pretty sure hammer arrestors have been code in most areas for eons now.

Erik

Reply to
Erik

The water hammer is only half the story. The water rushing or cavitating causing violent pipe vibrations and noise is the other half. The age old air chamber does nothing for that. Slowing the flow with valves does help but inserting the 36" rod in the 0.5" pipe makes sense to me and it does work well here and it may also work elsewhere. Just sharing a tip that works. It is cheap and easy to do with no moving parts. What else one ask.

Reply to
Mikie

I'm not saying that this isn't a good idea - if it fixes the problem then it's a great idea. But, it does nothing to lower the static water pressure which, you say, is at the maximum allowable. It's not going to stop the leaks and premature failure of valves and joints.

Reply to
rangerssuck

I'm not saying that this isn't a good idea - if it fixes the problem then it's a great idea. But, it does nothing to lower the static water pressure which, you say, is at the maximum allowable. It's not going to stop the leaks and premature failure of valves and joints.

Reply: I have a pressure reducer valve on the house and seems to be still working

38 years later. But is probably a lot more than $75 to buy one.
Reply to
Califbill

I have one set of shower faucets that have worked that long with zero repairs or adjustments - another set that I have had to rebuild with new seats etc every 2-3 years for the last 30 years.

Static pressure is no problem - the dynamic is. WOG rated fixtures are all 150psi or more working pressure rated.

Reply to
Mikie