Slippery Pipes

I've been asked by a local commercial property owner. He thinks that kids may be scaling to the roof of his business, by way of some pipes outside the building.

Can something be sprayed on the pipes, to make the climb less appealing to local teens?

Moly chain lube? Clear silicone? Whale blubber? Skunk scent? Cayanne pepper spray? Eau de vomite?

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I'd use the nastiest moly grease you can find. It won't wash off and makes a mess and stinks. Unocal or chevron had some nasty crap that came in caulk tubes.x

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

The Do's & Don'ts of an Engineering student.

Subscribe for more footage.

Reply to
Gohar Khan

Now, that's a good idea. Thanks.

.

I'd use the nastiest moly grease you can find. It won't wash off and makes a mess and stinks. Unocal or chevron had some nasty crap that came in caulk tubes.x

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

"Stormin Mormon" fired this volley in news:E8C8s.2$ snipped-for-privacy@fe43.iad:

It will attract dirt and bugs and gunk and trash, and will just be an unsightly mess.

Why not just case the pipes in smooth-sided chases that are too wide to grip for climbing?

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

"Stormin Mormon" fired this volley in news:E8C8s.2$ snipped-for-privacy@fe43.iad:

BTW... if the pipes are fairly snug to the walls, just use a larger diameter PVC or polyethylene pipe cut into a half-pipe to act as a chase. Use small "L" brackets rather than full-diameter clamps to hold it to the wall, so that there won't be anything to use as a grip or foot-hold.

Greasing them would also make it nigh-impossible to service them in the future if it became necessary.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

A few loops of barbed wire wrapped around the pipes a few meters up from the ground?

Any sort of grease is going to attract dirt & crap which might not be a good thing.

Just loosen the fittings at the top of the pipes, it can be quite effective:

Reply to
Dennis

I'm not sure how large that would be. In any case, the tenant doesn't have permission to make obvious changes. Keeping this on the down low.

.

It will attract dirt and bugs and gunk and trash, and will just be an unsightly mess.

Why not just case the pipes in smooth-sided chases that are too wide to grip for climbing?

Lloyd

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

just smear it on the backs of the pipes near the walls. nobody will see it, unless they're reaching back there.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Two things, One would be to apply some tanglefoot glue (same stuff on fly stickers and glue mouse traps) in alternating bands with some wheel bearing grease high in moly. Two would be to install a stop cage around the pipes.

Reply to
Steve W.

Or pour boiling oil off the roof when they are half way up. ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Wire the boiling oil pot to one of those motion detector lights?

.

Or pour boiling oil off the roof when they are half way up. ;-)

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I was thinking of a couple out of work barbarians, but that might work too.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

You know, that could work. Thank you.

.

just smear it on the backs of the pipes near the walls. nobody will see it, unless they're reaching back there.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

A couple of hungry barbarians who like to eat raw teenager? Now, we are into the realm of satisfying. I mean, I don't have a lot of respect for roof climbing teenagers.

Christ>

I was thinking of a couple out of work barbarians, but that might work too.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Barbarians don't need fancy plates, or condiments. ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Just look in the phone book for "Sven's Home Security" You need a moat with a few drawbridges for the shipping dock, front back and side exit doors (sorry, Fire Department rules still apply) and some nice hungry alligators to stock it.

Best part, no cleanup, and no pesky Police Reports.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman (munged human readable)

It's hard not to have gators in Central Florida, and plenty of marshes eliminate the need to dig a moat. ;-)

A radio station in Leesburg has it's towers sitting in the middle of a marsh. No grounding problems there, most of the time but it plays hell with the wiring for the tower lights when lightning hits them.

The sat photos were taken during a rare dry period. The walkway to the north tower is visible, but the engineer usually has to use a boat to get to it.

I used to maintain the old 1A2 phone system there, and did some consulting. They were still using a '50s vintage Gates 5 KW AM transmitter the last time I was there. The modulation & plate transformers were too big to fit in my pickup truck, and had to be moved on a flatbed wrecker.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell