Hey Iggy

I am sure I am pointing out the obvious, but have you checked out all the various resources and links at Linuxcnc.com? The reason I ask is when I was just getting started it seemed to me there were more open source CNC applications available that run under Linux than Windows. Since I finally just went with a Windows controller (Mach 3) because I already had a machine profile to run with it I never followed up on all those, but your posts on writing your own code gernating scripts reminded me of that. Might be worth a look see if you have not already exhausted that resource.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Bob, that is what I am using , EMC2 whose webpage is linuxcnc.org. I am EXTREMELY happy with EMC, beyond belief. It really is quite amazing. What kind of controller do you use and for what application?

Ignoramus28671

Are none of those links they list to various CAM packages any good? Seems to me you would rather be making chips than writing code.

I'm using Mach 3 to push a DeepGroove1 on a Taig, but I also have a Gecko Controller and some bigger motors that I'll probably swap out to. Then I've got a little salvage MaxNC machine that I may run under Mach 3.

I am pushing mini mill(s).

Reply to
Bob La Londe

I have not even started looking at CAM. I have no idea. I am trying to cover the basics and learn G code the hard way. I have discovered that learning things the hard way is the best way to learn.

I see!

Good luck Bob! CNC is quite fun.

Ignoramus28671

Parachuting, hunting russian boar with a knife, self defense in the inner city......ayup....best way.....

Gunner

"A conservative who doesn't believe? in God simply doesn't pray; a godless liberal wants no one to pray. A conservative who doesn't like guns doesn't buy one; a liberal gun-hater wants to disarm us all. A gay conservative has sex his own way; a gay liberal requires us all to watch and accept his perversion and have it taught to children. A conservative who is offended by a radio show changes the station; an offended liberal wants it banned, prosecuted and persecuted." Bobby XD9

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Nobody hunts boars with knives.

However I did some parachuting and even lived in a black neighborhood (by accident).

Ignoramus32079

Uh, sorry, but an old javelina-hunting buddy of mine did just that, with a European boar, and had the guide shoot a video. It's creepy. However, it was on a hunting preserve somewhere in the Southeastern US, not in the wild.

IIRC, the pig weighed around 400 pounds. I've lost track of the guy, but I probably could track him down. I'd have to make some calls to remember his name.

The guy was pretty gentle, too. He was a quail hunter who went rogue. d8-)

Reply to
Ed Huntress

No question you're doing the right thing. being well grounded in manual machining and gcoding is critical to being good at this hobby. For the parts I make, CAM is needed only occasionally. I'm lucky, I have my son do these after I design in AutoCAD. Making a good gcode program in CAM is difficult if you do it only every now and then.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Good to hear. Being close to the metal etc. CNC is not point and cilck.

Ignoramus32079

Shocking!

Reply to
Ignoramus32079

He was a pioneer in the field of extreme bloodsports.

I have to call my old friend Tony Mandile, former editor of _Arizona Hunter_, anyway. I'll see if he remembers the guy's name. It was Todd something. Maybe he even has the video online somewhere.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

You mean..no one in Chicago does. Right?

I have, along with a shitload of other people in the world.

Google "boar hunting with knife"

26,800 hits

Ive also hunted boar with spear, bow and arrow etc etc. A friend of mine has hunted them with 3 pound sledge. Not penned animals..wild ones.

He is a bit ...odd...though...shrug.

Black neighborhood, or Inner City?

There is a VAST difference.

And how do you move someplace "by accident"?????

"A conservative who doesn't believe? in God simply doesn't pray; a godless liberal wants no one to pray. A conservative who doesn't like guns doesn't buy one; a liberal gun-hater wants to disarm us all. A gay conservative has sex his own way; a gay liberal requires us all to watch and accept his perversion and have it taught to children. A conservative who is offended by a radio show changes the station; an offended liberal wants it banned, prosecuted and persecuted." Bobby XD9

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Liberals should love the idea..the inner child, back to nature, etc etc etc.

We just improved our method of killing our food over the millinia...we still kill our food.

And the guy who does it with a knife, or a sharp stick..or a 3 lb sledge is a hell of a lot closer to what we used to be, than the guy who buys a white stryrofoam tray with pork on it at the Piggly Wiggly.

Gunner

"A conservative who doesn't believe? in God simply doesn't pray; a godless liberal wants no one to pray. A conservative who doesn't like guns doesn't buy one; a liberal gun-hater wants to disarm us all. A gay conservative has sex his own way; a gay liberal requires us all to watch and accept his perversion and have it taught to children. A conservative who is offended by a radio show changes the station; an offended liberal wants it banned, prosecuted and persecuted." Bobby XD9

Reply to
Gunner Asch

It was a black neighborhood on the west side of the street. On the east side of the street was a "Inner City" dump.

I moved there by accident because due to cmoplete lack of experience, I did not pay any attention to the "racial composition" of the place. All I cared for was a cheap rent.

It was actually not horrible, but I had to be on alert.

Ignoramus32079

Google "Larry Harley Boar Hunting" for an example. One look at Larry and his knives and your sympathy goes out to the pig.

Reply to
John Husvar

I see that it's become quite popular with the "hold my beer and watch this" crowd. Todd did it back around 1980 or so.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

By the time the 'Piggly' is on a styrofoam tray, it's no longer 'Wiggly'! ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell