hiring someone to sell equipment

On Sat, 26 Dec 2015 11:37:34 -0600, Ignoramus29630

That much? Wow, is someone remelting it near there?
--
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes.
Art is knowing which ones to keep.
On 12/26/2015 12:05 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Yep. The US is a great industrial giant.
On Sun, 27 Dec 2015 22:09:20 -0600, Ignoramus3023

Perhaps. But if so, why does Gunner make his living decommissioning (and you hauling off) the dregs of so many failed businesses? <sigh> Sad, it is.
--
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes.
Art is knowing which ones to keep.
On 12/28/2015 12:24 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

I wonder if the owners know he does this or do they just show up one morning to a clean shop?

Ouch! Some friend you are. ;)
--
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes.
Art is knowing which ones to keep.

Many owners come to their shops on Monday mornings to find them "clean" of MCM 500 and other heavy copper wire.

Yup. We've been watching.
Although I have a contractor's license (which I'm letting lapse next year when I fully retire) the largest jobs I've done have been porches and decks. Now, in semi-retirement, I'm doing only smaller jobs. It's averaging 3 hours a week, but this week will be heavy, maybe 6. That will pick up in Spring, but I'm happy with a few small jobs. This retirement stuff is FUN! By Crom, I may get organized and decluttered yet!
--
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes.
Art is knowing which ones to keep.

Are you the "Home and Garden Handyman"?
On Mon, 28 Dec 2015 08:21:57 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"

That's me, until Oct 2016. But I'm in semi-retirement mode, accepting only those jobs I wish to take.
--
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes.
Art is knowing which ones to keep.

Not sure about other people.
As for myself, I feel very good about the industrial potential and future of the United States.
The churn in businesses, bankrupting of badly managed or obsolete companies, and competition, is what keeps America great.
On Tue, 29 Dec 2015 08:06:12 -0600, Ignoramus17007

I'm deeply disturbed by too many trends, so no rose tinted glasses for me.

I understand what you're saying, but your focus seems to be too tight. Are you not seeing the mass exodus of business from the USA? It's wholesale loss, not just a bit of redistribution.
--
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes.
Art is knowing which ones to keep.
On Tue, 29 Dec 2015 19:16:55 -0800, Larry Jaques

You're about 15 years behind the times, Larry. There is no mass exodus of "business." The exodus to offshoring really didn't last long. The exodus recently was of headquarters operations and the nominal base of the companies, not of the actual manufacturing. That was almost entirely a paper move, for tax purposes. And much of that was stopped with some tax-law changes about a year ago.
What Gunner is seeing is mostly the result of the segment of industry he deals with -- the absolute bottom feeders. Mismanaged, under-capitalized, dragging their feet technologically, they are declining and the business they did (which is still there) is being picked up by better, smarter companies.
You can't start a mold shop today with a Bridgeport and a Logan lathe in a garage. Technology has moved on. And if you try to run a business today the way you ran it 20 years ago, you're toast.
Then Gunner gets to help move the machines out and Iggy buys them for scrap. Welcome to the 21st century -- which you'll probably catch up with in a decade or two.
--
Ed Huntress

The industry, manufacturing and other industries, will continue to do great.
The "average" people employed by them, will continue to do poorly.
The reason for this is technology and obsolescence of humans.

The asian tiger lost it's teeth over the last year, so it's appetite for American scrap has declined significantly.

I was suprised that most of the stuff at the not quite local steel yard is domestic. The story was the really low grade scrap goes to china, the better stuff stays here for remelting.

A lot of scrap is remelted here by the likes of Nucor.

Gunner, while your recommendation is a solid one, even good auctioneers have bad auctions from time to time, I love those.
On Sat, 26 Dec 2015 11:39:01 -0600, Ignoramus29630

Right. As a BUYER, bad auctioneers are truly wonderful. <g>
--
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes.
Art is knowing which ones to keep.
On Sat, 26 Dec 2015 11:39:01 -0600, Ignoramus29630

Like an old auctioneer friend said years back "an item is worth exactly what the highest bidder is willing to pay on a particular day - not one penny more, and not one penny less"
The secret is to use an auctioneer that has the reputation for getting the buyers out. It is in his best interest to get the best price possible for YOU, not the buyer - because he gets a percentage of the take. If by spending a few bucks on advertizing he can get 2 buyers for an item instead of one, he can more than double his take.
Get 10 or more buyers??? Who knows.
Around here anything that can be used by hobbyists or small (usually mennonite farm based) businesses goes for a reasonably high price. But the guys know their stuff - and if it's junk, there's a pretty good chance you won't get more than junk price. Sometimes you get more than you would expect if 2 guys both want it for parts though!!!