hiring someone to sell equipment

You might contact ABANA

or your local ABANA chapter or other blacksmithing group. A number of smiths still like to run their old mechanical power hammers (and sometimes other gear) from line shafts.

Doubtless not a big sales-price potential but you might find some people who would happily come and take away lineshafts, pulleys and belting at no cost to you or for a modest price.

I would do so were I within 100 miles or so but I'm very far away, as you can see from the .sig. I run a 24" bandsaw and my 25# Jardine from overhead shaft, did same with a 100# Palmer Power Spring Hammer before I swapped it away.

Reply to
Mike Spencer

Yep. The US is a great industrial giant.

Ignoramus3023

OK, great.

Are you sure of this? I was able to sell flat belt pullies (40" in diameter) for a pretty nice price.

Ignoramus3023

Absolutely! I'm aligned with Jon's intent, too. We all just wait for our lotto to come in. (My neighbor just won $110 on a $12 scratcher investment. Last month it was $900+, and a few hundred the month before. She's quite lucky.)

I was just commenting on the ironic humor of it all, which I love.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Perhaps. But if so, why does Gunner make his living decommissioning (and you hauling off) the dregs of so many failed businesses? Sad, it is.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

The BP is my pride and Joy! 3-ph, 2hp. variable speed. Pretty complete R-8 tooling, XY DRO, power x. One shot oiler. Like new, not a scratch (almost)

Reply to
Tom Gardner

At one time the shafts were driven by a one cylinder natural gas engine.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

I don't know if any are that big. I do have a step pully, I bet that's odd.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

I wonder if the owners know he does this or do they just show up one morning to a clean shop?

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Ouch! Some friend you are. ;)

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Yup. We've been watching.

Although I have a contractor's license (which I'm letting lapse next year when I fully retire) the largest jobs I've done have been porches and decks. Now, in semi-retirement, I'm doing only smaller jobs. It's averaging 3 hours a week, but this week will be heavy, maybe 6. That will pick up in Spring, but I'm happy with a few small jobs. This retirement stuff is FUN! By Crom, I may get organized and decluttered yet!

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Oh, bull. We know it was run on methane from the old Gardner fart running that shop.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Are you the "Home and Garden Handyman"?

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

How did you know? The employees used to lovingly call my sweet father "Put-Put"...and it wasn't for his golf game. He said one advantage of being over 80 is he never had to hold a toot!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

The asian tiger lost it's teeth over the last year, so it's appetite for American scrap has declined significantly.

Reply to
clare

But if a hobyist (or 2) was at the same auction you wouldn't get it either. I've seen "home shop compatible" equipment bir up to almost new list at auctions in my area. There is a local auction place that sells fleet vehicles, banctrupt business eqipment and stock, recovered goods from the PD, equipment from local school boards etc - and very little machine tool equipment goes cheap.

Reply to
clare

I was once at an auction for a machine shop that closed in NC. I had resear ched the price for a Lincoln tig welder that was there, and looked to be in good condition. Myself and two other guys bid for it, and it kept going up . The guy that got it paid more than the new list price. When I left he wa s standing next to it, wiping the dust off the top with an ear to ear smile . I thought,"What a wailing dumbass". Was my last auction, as I'd seen sim ilar things happen to many times. Just my .02 on auctions.

Reply to
Garrett Fulton

I was suprised that most of the stuff at the not quite local steel yard is domestic. The story was the really low grade scrap goes to china, the better stuff stays here for remelting.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

That's me, until Oct 2016. But I'm in semi-retirement mode, accepting only those jobs I wish to take.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Not sure about other people.

As for myself, I feel very good about the industrial potential and future of the United States.

The churn in businesses, bankrupting of badly managed or obsolete companies, and competition, is what keeps America great.

Ignoramus17007