hole alignment tool

Sometimes I think I have way too many tools and other times I find that I don't.

The latest situation was not having a cylinder ridge reamer that was small enough for a 3.5 hp engine. Okay either make or buy one, or use a boring tool on the Drill/Mill.

Just enough room to do it on the Drill/Mill. Now just have to get aligned with the cylinder. Okay I have one of those dial test indicator holders that clamp on to the spindle. A tool made for exactly this job. However it has friction joints and I kept touching it and throwing it off. It was at the end of a longish day and I got frustrated.

So finally I got a little inspiration and made a test indicator holder that fits in the boring head. Very simple. Just 1/2 inch rod that fits in the boring head about two inches long. Milled a flat on it that made it easy to drill a 1/4 inch cross hole to hold the post on the back of the test indicator. The flat was big enough that the head of the indicator snugged in it. Then drilled a hole lengthwise and put in a set screw to grasp the post on the dial indicator.

Simple, easy to make, and works well.

l .5 l<

xxxxxxxxx x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x-----x x x Hole for test indicator post x-----x x l l x xxxxxxx

^ l