Basic Questions on South Bend 9 x 20

I looked on the web, and did not find an answer to some basic questions about the South Bend 9 x 20 lathe (Yes, I know that there are different models). I know zilch about lathes, never run one. I don't have any buddies with lathes, so I would probably take a course at the local community college.

Roughly how big are they? What is the footprint?

How much do they weigh?

Any good webpages on how to inspect one or value it? I know wear is a big issue, so look for slop. The electric motor is another, I don't have three phase in my shop, and a VFD is $200 or so. The webpage below seems like a good place to start.

I understand that accessories can cost as much as the lathe. I would imagine the 3 and 4 jaw chucks are among the more expensive accessories, but what else is key?

I have probably read a hundred posts on the relative merit of new cheap lathes from Asia vs. old iron, so no need to rehash that debate. I would probably not want to undertake a major rebuild, I don't think I know enough for that to be a good plan.

Thanks, Richard

Reply to
Richard Ferguson

I would not worry about the motor - on a smaller lathe like that, you can easily change to a 110V single phase motor - half horse or 1 horse - others will provide far better information on the lathe itself than I can

Reply to
william_b_noble

This depends to a large degree on two factors. 1) is it an underneath drive model, or the kind with the separate, rear drive. And 2) what is the bed length.

The bench you put a machine like that on will be a foot or two longer than the bed length, and if it is a rear drive model, the bench will realistically be almost four feet deep to make it all fit. If it is an underneath cabinet drive model, then the size of the cabinet is the footprint.

If you break the bench lathe down, two folks can lift the largest part, the bed.

That is a good approximation, tooling cost = lathe cost more or less.

QC toolpost and toolholders, steady rest, chucks, collets, collet setup are only a few things you will find handy.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen
[ ... ]

Well ... I just got through typing a list of the tooling which could come with a lathe, and what some of it is useful for. This was in another thread, asking for a choice between the SB Heavy 10 and a Clausing 59??.

Rather than re-typing all of that, I'll simply suggest that you find that thread and read it there. The only things which do not apply are the references to chuck sizes, QC-toolpost sizes, and collet sizes -- but everything else should apply.

One thing to watch for in the SB machines is whether it is a model 'A', 'B', or 'C'. Model 'A' has the full power feed (longitudinal and cross) with a quick-change gearbox. Model 'C' has only threading with the "basket of gears" change system, where you tear down one geartrain and build up another. (This tends to discourage setting the right feeds for turning, simply because of the inconvenience.) The model 'B' I think has the power cross-feed and longitudinal, but not the quick-change gearbox. (Or is it the reverse?) Anyway -- having the true power feeds reduces wear on the lathe's leadscrew and half-nuts, as the power is picked off from a keyway which runs the length of the leadscrew, instead of from the actual Acme threads. As a result, it only gets wear when actually threading, which is usually a small enough percentage of the total work so you will be fine.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

The three foot bed model has a footprint of 39 3/8" x 33 1/4"

The shipping weight of the Model C was 320 pounds with motor and crate. I have lifted the bed with headstock out of a car trunk and onto the bench.

Go to mermac.com and read "how to inspect a lathe"

I don't

Not an issue. It unusual to find one with a three phase motor. These are small (1/4-1/3-1/2 HP depending on year) motors.

The webpage below

The Yahoo Southbend lathe group has a lot of information.

I don't have a three jaw for the SB. I work with the headstock Jacobs chuck, faceplate, and four jaw. The accessories you need will depend on what you make.

Kevin Gallimore

Reply to
axolotl

You were correct DoN.

A = quick change, and lever-selectable X- and L- feeds.

B = no QC, but still has feeds.

C = no QC, no feed worm in the carriage, so any longitudinal feed is via the halfnuts.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen