Home uses for robotics

Just thinking of potential uses for a small robotic arm, so far I'm coming up with some very needed tasks, thanks to Obama and his supporters, but they aren't politically correct.

Reloading assistant, grab primed brass from tray, add powder, place in reloading press, grab bullet. Operator, cylinder, or motor actuates press.

Attach a gun and machine vision camera, have robotic arm automatically aim at potential threats, use manual fire control after viewing image of the target.

Dangerous jobs such as assembling fireworks or other dangerous or explosive chemicals.

Or, the most anti-liberal idea yet, learning a skill to get a (gasp!) JOB!!!

Ok, now to be serious, I'm interested in trying to write an updated control software using kinematics to position various points about the end efector. One idea is to position to the center of one of the "claws" on the gripper, rotating the gripper would cause the robot arm to move about to keep the "finger" in position while rotating, such as if you wanted to insert the claw into a hole to grab something. Sounds like interesting and challenging programming anyway!

RogerN

Reply to
RogerN

"RogerN" fired this volley in news:WradnSuMh5FXZ2fMnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

Those are the machines I design and build professionally.

It's a 'niche' market. Gotta know (some) machining, (some) mechanics, (some) electronics, and a lot about the products and the chemicals.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Have you seen LinuxCNC? It is a general CNC control program which can handle stacked kinematics like robots, you just need to know the lengths of the arms and any offsets between them.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Program it to make coffee, that's plenty challenging.

Reply to
Pete C.

I thought Roger would try getting it to wipe his butt...

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Just curious, did any of the machines ever get blown up?

Sounds like an interesting line of work!

RogerN

Reply to
RogerN

Yes, I have a CNC lathe that runs LinuxCNC and am in process of converting my Anilam Bridgeport to LinuxCNC. I wonder how difficult it would be to write my own programming language, or use ABB or Fanuc robot programming language and LinuxCNC as the controller. Perhaps the existing G code language would work with robot programming, such as alter the path depending on conditions.

RogerN

Reply to
RogerN

"RogerN" fired this volley in news:Xtqdnaw8a4 _GuWbMnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

Not due to their own operation. There have been a couple I've designed involved in fires that started elsewhere, or damaged by explosions elsewhere in the building where they were used. But no... none of mine have (yet) exploded or caught fire on their own.

'They' say it's only a matter of time before one will, but we spend a great deal of time selecting materials and mechanical designs to prevent (or control) particle entrapment and impingement between elements. I think (I hope) if one of ours ever does fail in that manner, it will be due to lack of or incorrect maintenance rather than because of its design.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Read Heinlien's _A_Door_Into_Summer_...

Reply to
Ecnerwal

Buy a Dillion press. One pull of the handle..one loaded round.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Then the robot can keep the cartridge feeder, bullet feeder, powder, and primers full! I wonder if I can make a hand for the robot that can grab a gun and pull the trigger? That would probably need some kind of quick change end of arm tooling.

I have a Lee Load-Master, the biggest problem I have with it is sometimes too much lube builds up in the charging die and makes a clump of lube/powder, causing the majority of the powder to spill. I prefer a 2 step process, first pass prepares the brass, deprime, size, case trim, then off to the vibratory cleaner. 2nd pass does the actual reloading of the prepared brass. Someday when I get the money I hope to buy a Dillon but I have to get by on the cheap for now! The progressives get pretty expensive by the time you get all the feeders for one loaded round per pull of the handle, then you need to by the optional powder checks and other goodies.

RogerN

Reply to
RogerN

Have the robot scoop some beans, grind, put in filter, add water and press start? If it could cook and clean then the wife actually would only be good for one thing!

RogerN

Reply to
RogerN

Robot could be good at that thing too, push the envelope a little.

Ignoramus19456

Pete C sez

I made one of those in the 1980s... even though I was into robotics at the time, it was purely electro-mechanical. It's a sequential process... doesn't need a computer.

It worked . It took up too much room on the counter.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Oiling the robot...

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

"RogerN" on Sun, 4 Aug 2013 09:02:13 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

They make coffee engines which will do all that - including pressing start. As long as the electric power doesn't go out.

Try getting it to load the dishwasher.

I'm sure she could program a robot to toss your stuff out the door for her.

pyotr filipivich

My Airships, by Alberto Santos-Dumont, the son of a coffee plantation owner:

"I think it is not generally understood how scientifically a Brazilian coffee plantation may be operated. [In the 1890's.] From the moment when a railway train has brought the green berries to the Works to the moment when the finished and assorted product is loaded on the transatlantic ships, no human hand touches the coffee."

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Just one of many:

Got a photo of the wife?

Reply to
Gunner Asch

For male and female use....

Reply to
Gunner Asch

"Jim Wilkins" on Sun, 4 Aug 2013 14:34:24 -0400 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

So, possible to get a cup of coffee where the last person to touch the coffee itself was Juan himself. Interesting.

pyotr filipivich