Honing with a hand brace?

Hi,

I've been restoring a farm engine and need to hone the bore before I fit new piston rings. I have one of those three-legged deglazing hones. Apparently these are supposed to be used in a variable speed electric drill, but the one I have doesn't go slowly enough to produce a cross hatch with the recommended 45 degree angles at the sides. I wondered about trying to use a hand brace. What do people think? Also, what kind of oil should I use for honing (I doubt it's critical, but I thought I'd ask)?

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Chris, Long ago and far away, I even cross hatched a cyl. with hand held sand paper. You may need coarse grit stones doing it that slow. Then prosperity hit and I bought a 1/2 inch drill motor at a pawn shop. Covered in cement, shorted cord, bad switch, and all.

500 rpm, i think. Went to trans fluid from 30wt so I could see better, do it quicker, but the oil is probably better. Do NOT minimize the clean up afterward - lots of soap and water, trans fluid wipes, solvent, until a paper towel comes out like new.

wws

Reply to
wws

Suggest simply plug the trigger on and off to limit rpms while stroking the hone up/ down is all you probly need to do.

Otherwise it will take you forever and a day with a hand bit and brace type setup

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

Use a low speed 1/2" drill if you don't want your arms to drop off. Use mineral oil as lube. It's dirt cheap and the principal component of most high$ oils. Bugs

Reply to
Bugs