How do you drill through stainless steel at home?

Sounds reasonable. I'll test that out one day soon.

Regards,

Uncle Steve

Reply to
Uncle Steve

What would be nice is a solid carbide drill. With it you simply apply power and the drill starts to cut. I have had mine red hot when it started to cut when drilling lathe bits. Those made of cobalt and are tough.

I made a forming bit. Drill and grind.

I bought mine from MSCdirect.com -

Mart>

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

That's become a common misunderstanding.

Good marketing. Bad engineering.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Uncle Steve Inscribed thus:

I've used a similar technique for drilling holes in glass bottles to make table lamps. A copper tube with a groove filed across the end dipped in grinding paste. Slow, but you get a smooth burr free hole. Smoothing the inside is a little harder. :-)

Reply to
Baron

Ed Huntress Inscribed thus:

Interesting technique, I'll have to remember that one !

Reply to
Baron

Several people in labor, mfg, design, etc ... have no theoretical or practical knowledge in metalworking, but still take, send or broker related work out. My problem with people in this group is the sickening bigotry and the convincing sock puppetry.

Reply to
Transition Zone

WHICH group? The thread is crossposted among four newsgroups.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Reply to
Spam?uster

Reply to
Spam?uster

Reply to
Spam?uster

Id hit it with a TIG welder and put a stainless washer on the butt end. That way you can use any size washer with a big hole in it.

Gunner

  1. Lie
Gunner

Thanks!! Excellent method!!

Saved!

Gunner

  1. Lie
Gunner

Want one? I run across at least 1 a year. I sent one off last year to be scrapped. Ran fine, nobody wanted it.

  1. Lie
Gunner

I have some Cable Hangers..which are a finger trap secured to a 1/2" conduit threaded connector. For hanging drops from the center hole of a blank 4x box cover. Might be easily converted to this use. They finger trap is made from steel cable (not stainless unfortunately)

Gunner

  1. Lie
Gunner

You may be thinking of Kellem Grips. I've used them for years to pull wire through conduit or installed them as cord grips. The things work like Chinese Finger Puzzles. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Those I have several sizes of. The overhead cable thingies are of the same type, with a threaded bit of pipe nipple attached .

Want a photo?

Gunner

  1. Lie
Gunner

I was selling the stuff 40 years ago when I worked for an electrical supply company. I used one a while back to fix a problem for a pizza place where the kept ripping the outlet out of the wall for their prep table every time they moved it to clean the floor. I removed the outlet and installed an hospital grade cord body with a pigtail of 12/3 SO cord anchored to the wall with a Kellem Grip which would allow the plug to simply pull straight out of the cord body without damage. I also use the grips to hang power cords from the ceiling in the middle of shop floors. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Good man, then you have seen them before. Thanks for letting me know what they are called. I always called them Finger Puzzle cable grips and the guys at the will call desk knew what I was talking about.

Gunner

  1. Lie
Gunner

If there's no TIG handy, there's always JB Weld. I use brazing filler rod for making rings for such things, the local Ace has welded brass and steel rings in a variety of sizes in the misc. hardware aisle. Or, if you gotta have heat involved, silver braze will work. Kind of overkill for a fancy church key.

Post said "can opener" and I'm thinking some variety of Swing-Away, not a church key. Does anything drinkable still come in steel cans that need puncturing? Tomato juice and V8 are all I can think of and those would be the big cans, not individual serving sizes.

Stan

Reply to
Stanley Schaefer

You can use them as a come along for prisoners too by slipping them over their fingers or thumbs. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas