How do you store your raw stock?

Full length pieces also store nicely in cardboard shipping tubes. We do a recurring job every few months where we buy 30-40 pieces of 5 mm dia. 303SS round rod in 13' lengths, and we just put the cardboard tube up on our rack and pull the pieces out one at a time as we need them. If they weren't in the tube it would turn into a mess of bends and kinks the first or second time someone tried to extract one :-). Plus it keeps the stainless steel rods from rubbing on the steel rack and picking up bits o' steel that would rust later.

----- Regards, Carl Ijames

Reply to
Carl Ijames

As long as nobody got squished. Steel can be replaced and recycled easily enough.

Reply to
Pete C.

"Randy" wrote

What I saw didn't stick out from the wall to hold squat. Plus, they had no protection from having stock roll off the top row even if the pieces were sitting up there nice and even. There needs to be a stop to prevent just such a thing. It happens in the real world. And it always lands on the wrong thing.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Worst comes to worst...he can buy a box of cheap 3/4" nuts and simply weld em on the top of the end of the bars. Its not great..but it works...most of the time.

weld em upright..on a flat with the hole facing the material.

And he can use them to seperate the supports when the shelves collapse

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

The end of each angle has a hole drilled for a bolt and coupling nut to form a stop. needed for round stock optional for flat stock.

Thank You, Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.

Reply to
Randy

I'm a one man shop, and I can't get my forklift within 50 feet of the stock rack, all stock is put on or off, by me, by hand.

Genarally I buy all stock over 2" round in 3 or 4 foot peices so I can move them. They stay on the floor, never on the rack.

It's not fun to play dominoes with stock.

Thank You, Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.

Reply to
Randy

How do these holes work without the bolts in them?

Reply to
SteveB

So when you toss up that piece that breaks the camels..errr stock rack's arm and it cascades down .. you are standing right beside it?

BRRRRRRRR!!!!!

'In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American... There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language.. and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.' Theodore Ro osevelt 1907

Reply to
Gunner Asch

So what would you suggest? 10 inch wide flanged H beam?

There is nothing wrong with Randy's design. You can overload anything.

Reply to
Tim

1.5x1.5 stock, at those lengths, are not particularly strong, when one starts putting MANY hundreds of pounds on it. Id suggest a simple diagnol brace from the main upright to the front or middle of each arm. The middle would probably be ok, if the brace is at a 45'ish angle. It wont interfer with his loading them up and it may keep him alive and undamaged.

Did I mention I work in factories all over So. Cal, and have seen stock racks, home made ones, collapse like the World Trade Center?

But hey...I was only making observations. Take em or leave em. Shrug

And yes..you can overload anything. Sometimes however..its harder to do when its properly braced or made of the proper materials. Shrug again.

Gunner, Owner Coyote Engineering

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Let the Record show that Gunner Asch on or about Tue, 11 Aug 2009 11:31:13 -0700 did write/type or cause to appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Engineering Bromide: an overstressed system will relieve its stresses eventually. But wouldn't you rather do it in a controlled manner?

pyotr filipivich

True...but with some proper bracing..the racks are well enough made that I dont think he could fill them up and have them collapse.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

You don't even know what he is storing. His rack could easily be filled to capacity with thin wall tubing. Not to mention how heavily he intends to load it.

Reply to
Tim

Both quite true. However..He did post a link to a photo of his old rack..and it wasnt filled with conduit, or 3/4 empty.

As I keep saying..it was only observations. Take em or leave em.

Was there anything else you wished to boff your chest with?

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Let the Record show that Gunner Asch on or about Tue, 11 Aug 2009 15:18:29 -0700 did write/type or cause to appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Then it will no longer be an over stressed system.

It is like the question to ask about medieval Cathedrals "When did the tower collapse?" The ones which remained were the ones which had enough stone piled up to keep from exceeding the stress limits.

pyotr filipivich