How much load can this chain hoist setup handle?

Thanks to all. Here's my plan for now. But a 6 foot or so of 6x6 or

4x8 wood. Put it in the attic, on top of the joists, perpendicular to them, right above the T beam that holds the hoist. Put 3/8" or 1/2" threaded rods through the wood piece, down and to bolt some metal brace underneath the T beam to these rods. That, I think, could easily hold a ton, which is more than I need.

The wood piece above the joists would span something like 5 joists.

Ignoramus19950

Yes, they are joists, I have attic above them. There is some stuff in the attic, but not a lot (some kids toys and clothes).

Ignoramus19950

Sure hope those are JOISTS and NOT trusses !

Trusses aren't designed(usually) for ANY kind of 'hanging' load on them...

Reply to
j.b. miller

Yeah, Brian, ya just never know what'll crawl out from under that pile of swarf.... teehee Hiya Fitch - it's been a while - you must be getting caught up on your honeydew list... Glad to see ya. Ken.

Reply to
Ken Sterling