How to estimate wear on an impact wrench

I am talking about a 2.5" drive impact wrench that weighs over 200 lbs.

A real monster by I/R.

I have it and I want to estimate how much wear it has. I can obviously perform minor disassembly and sometimes even reassembly.

So. What part would you say I should look at to see how much it was used?

What would be the signs of it not being in order, assuming that it can run? (I would say any metal particles inside the case come to mind first).

Reply to
Ignoramus16961

If nothing else, the presumably AL housing is probably worth more than you paid for it just as scrap metal.

Reply to
Pete C.

I doubt that it's scrap value is worth $49 that I paid.

But I also have an expectation that this wrench is not worn out, as it belonged to Fermilab, who would have been unlikely to use it too much.

There also seems to be a socket hanging on the end.

Reply to
Ignoramus16961

It sure doesn't look unused to me. I expect their construction folks used it a lot for building their lab toys. As for scrap value, AL scrap prices are pretty high these days.

Reply to
Pete C.

Only parts that will show wear if it was used properly and was given oil as needed would be the hammer faces and the anvil cheeks along with the vanes in the motor. Of the two the vanes would be the best indicator.

As for damage. Metal in the bearings, cracked vanes or a seriously scored motor housing. Also look at the impact hammers for cracks or damaged bushings. Same with the anvil. Most of the better air tolls have rebuild kits available for them. The kits are usually not that expensive either. They contain the gaskets and wear parts.

What model is it?

Reply to
Steve W.

Model 5820.

I posted a link to the diagram, here it is (5820 is marked there as 2

1/2):

I will take it apart, maybe this weekend and will post some photos.

Reply to
Ignoramus16961

I hope you give it a once over with a geiger counter......

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

I have a yellow civil defense meter, but I could never make it work.

Reply to
Ignoramus16961

Ummmm...there is a part of me that kinda wants to know just HOW and WHY you came to be in possession of an impact wrench that big...then I take my medication, and go back to my happy place and decide to let it go.

(:>

Mike

Reply to
The Davenport's