How to Make Square Holes in Aluminum Sheet Metal

I did a basic how-to article for the most recent issue of Make
magazine on "How to Make Square Holes in Aluminum Sheet Metal"
They have it up for free on their website, might be of interest to
some...

And yes, there are certainly a lot more ways to make square holes than
shown! They trimmed the web article down to about 5 methods for the
print version, so I doubt I could have put even more methods in...
Nick
Reply to
Felice Luftschein and Nicholas
I removed the stripper plate and its shaft from one of my two Adel (Klein) nibblers for finish trimming to the edge of cutouts.
jw
Reply to
jim.wilkins
The hand nibbler in that article really sucks. MMC sells it for $21.00. Don't even think of buying one. Radio Shack (of all places) in the US (along with many others) sells a far more refined product at half the price shown in the shot below;
Trust me on this one, I have both.
Reply to
oparr
Funny, the hand nibbler I've had for over 35 years looks just like the one you just panned, and it's always done ok by me.
Maybe they made 'em a lot better back then.
I couldn't resist touring through your photo galleries, you sure do take GREAT pictures.
Could you please tell me what breed of cat "Plato" is? I ask because about three years ago an engineer neighbor of mine working at GE's jet engine division had to go down to San Paulo to integrate one of their engines into a new commuter plane being built there. He took his wife and kids with him and asked if we would board their cat for the three months he expected to be there.
One thing led to another, and they never returned here from Brazil, so the cat became ours. I've never bothered to find out what breed he is, but he looks just like Plato. Here's a photo of him. He is facinated to have been born into an era of industry and uses mechanical assistance to help him catch mice.
He can still bring home the bunnies by himself though. SWMBO hit "high C" last year when she opened the door for him and he trotted in and dropped this one on her feet:
Thanks,
Jeff
Reply to
Jeff Wisnia
Well, okay wasn't good enough for me, especially since much better was half the price. Seriously, MMC should stop selling that POS.
Thanks, photography is another hobby of mine.
I haven't the faintest idea, always thought of him as being just a fluffy tabby. Have to ask my daughter, it's her cat.
Reply to
oparr
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote in news:1123622007.169093.262700 @g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:
I like this one too. Because it doesen't have the U-shaped hold-down on the top of the cutter bar, you can use a smaller pilot hole to start nibbling.
Reply to
Ken Moffett
Also, the 35+ year old design leaves a signature that shouts "A NIBBLER WUZ HERE" even after filing and sanding/brushing. With the new ones, even on aluminum, there are no leftover telltale scrapes and deep abrasions on either side of the work piece to worry about. It's as though a sharp punch or minature shear press was used.
Reply to
oparr
Wouldn't a layer of masking tape keep that from happening? Or mylar, etc?
- Inside every older person is a younger person wondering WTF happened. ---
Website Application Programming
Reply to
Larry Jaques
Not really, that's part of why I remove it on the nibbler used for trimming a rough opening to the finish line. The nibbler with the U-shaped stripper plate left on cuts out the rough opening because the modified one jams in a slot.
jw
Reply to
jim.wilkins
Three or four layers perhaps. Looks like that design was such a bright idea 35+ years ago that it was treated as a "gift horse".
Reply to
oparr
Greetings and Salutations....
Looks kind of like he has the size and shape to be a Maine Coon - They are great cats and work well in a househould with strong personalities. Regards Dave Mundt
Reply to
Dave Mundt
Thats what I was thinking. Id love to have one, but they are rare and pricy here in California
I have the big boy Ive mentioned before, that came out of the crack house, but Im not sure if he is a Maine or not..suspect he is just a big cat. Gunner
Reply to
Gunner
Daughter came by today and confirmed that Plato was a Maine Coon so more than likely "Brazil" is too. Two shots of Plato;
oparr
Well, Plato and Darwin sure look "close enuf for guvment work."
Thanks.
I'll go with the Maine Coon cat label. Which makes sense since Maine is the next state north of here.
Jeff
Reply to
Jeff Wisnia