How to make things for money at home

I sont have alot of experience but a lot of determination. I have some hand grinders and mig and arc welders.

Is there something that would be useful I could maufacture in my garage and sell on ebay or something for money. Mainly as a hobby. I am no looking to get rich, just some pocket money for the new baby that is on the way.

My dad just bought a 49 cub tractor at the auction and I am going through it for him. Alot of people collect these. WOndered If making tail light brakets or the choke rod would be of any benefit? I dont have the equipment to do complex shapes and I am not a machinist, I wish I was. (Maybe an excuse to buy more equipment!) I just love to work with metal and my day job is in the office so I like to get dirty during evenings and weekends.

Any advice?

Reply to
Danny

With your equipment I would add a small vertical bandsaw and then consider doing some "decorative iron" type work for homeowners. This would include iron gates, shelves, trellis's and other things people like to add to customize their houses. Make some fliers up and stuff them in mailboxes while the post office isn't looking to land your first customers, then word of mouth will bring you more.

If you search around the web a little you'll find some good online suppliers of components for doing decorative iron work that show up ready to weld together.

One of the cheapo $199. 4x6 vertical bandsaws will be good enough to get you started. I've had one that I thought would last about a year thats going on

20 years now, and it generally gets used at least once a day.

Good luck-

Paul T.

Reply to
Paul T.

On Thu, 06 May 2004 21:01:04 GMT, "Paul T." brought forth from the murky depths:

Touching anyone's mailbox than your own is a federal offense, Paul. It's not in Danny's best interest to tell him to commit felonies, y'know? Door hangers are safer and not illegal. They could be put on doorknobs by local kids, hung on gates, or looped around the mailbox flag without committing a felony (in most communities.)

Danny, go to local farmers markets and swap meets to see what -is- being made and what is selling. Ask the vendors if people are looking for things these vendors -don't- make. This could be something you could make and not be in competition with them. If the vendors are selling too many of their items to keep up, you might see if they want to sublet some of their production to you. You never know.

----------------------------------------------------------- -- This post conscientiously crafted from 100% Recycled Pixels --

Websites: PHP Programming, MySQL databases ==================================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

That might work (although I know nothing of the requirements of that market). You might find that something that would sell through online communities such as Yahoo groups devoted to XXXX would work better (or in addition to) eBay. I know people doing this who are making good (extra, not living-off-of) money making things like replacement parts.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

In most states, adding something that permanently attatches to a house or structure with fasteners is considered contracting and requires a contractor's license. The maximum fine in Nevada for contracting without a license is $10,000. And that don't even take into consideration the libility insurance required to go on another person's property and do work. Unless the poster is interested in getting fully immersed in contracting, this is not a good idea. But yes, one can make decorative work that just sits there, and sell that without having a conflict.

Make some fliers up and stuff them in mailboxes

Federal offense GUARANTEED to get you a visit from a postal inspector, where he/she will tell you he/she knows your intentions were good, but for you to NEVER ever do it again.

Excellent idea. But why not control it from raw materials to end user? You take $5 worth of materials. You make something you can sell on ebay for $25.......... net profit, $20 less ebay's vig. If you wholesale it out, you make it for $5, sell it for $10 to $15, so the retailer can sell it for $25 and make money, too. Your net ....... $5 to $10. Which do you prefer? One way, you have to make one widget to make $20, and the other way, you might have to make four widgets. The hours start adding up. Then your outlet wants more of them, but you wanted to go to Aunt Mary's this weekend for her to see the new baby, and you didn't want to work. And you have to start working when you don't want to just to meet someone else's schedule.

Ebay is the way to go. You reach millions of people for $1 or so. Work when you want to/when you have the time/when it is convenient.

HTH

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

(Snip)

Have a look at the dropbox:

This is something you could make easily and sell for reasonable money. I made a crude version that works properly but I would like to be able to buy a nice one from an auto store.

It could be marketed as the perfect gift for the home mechanic.

Bonus points for a version to accommodate a drain pan *or* a bucket.

More bonus points for a version that doesn't require a heavily weighted base as this one does. (A broad based 'A' frame, perhaps?)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Thumbscrews and wing nuts generally get around this nicely as do keyhole slots instead of simple drilled holes. The key word is permanently, but a home owner can add things without the license. Insurance companies are generally the hangup, and if they get anal about it, just look for another one. Read your policy, you might be amazed at the number of things you aren't allowed to do. Add coverage to pay for the repair cost and watch the restrictions somehow disappear.

Too many horror stories, and paypal isn't your pal. paypal can freeze any account you have listed with them, including the credit cards, and doesn't have to even listen to your case until the mood or a fart moves them. The only safe way to use ebay or paypal is to have separate checking accounts and credit card that are used for nothing else, and have only enough money to cover any purchases you have made. Doesn't mean a seller isn't going to get ripped, it happens, and to contest it, you have to file a court case in southern california. Ebay, bad idea. paypal worse idea. Read the contracts, nothing in them protects you, everything protects them.

Reply to
Lennie the Lurker

America: Land of the free*

  • all rights reserved, void where prohibited
Reply to
John Smith

As a somewhat frequent visitor to the USA, ain't that the truth!

Reply to
Morris Minor

contracting,

How do you equate not being allowed to legally handle other peoples mail, with a lack of freedom?

I don't want you or anyone else messing with my mail, or mailbox. I get some very important stuff in my mailbox.

JTMcC.

Reply to
JTMcC