How to tell "Cutting Oil" from "Lubricating Oil"

I am satisfied with what I found. The maintenance guy said that he only put lubricating oil in it. The oil does not smell bad in any way like sulfurized oils would. It also does not tarnish a polished copper bar.

Ignoramus30119

I have the single-bevel style of that saw and happily used it for 8 years in my handyman service. It's still in good shape and running. I wish I had a friend at the dump. It's unconscionable what people throw away. Nicked cord on a $3,000 device? Toss it.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

That's how I got the spline-type rock drill. When the cord broke the owner replaced it with an SDS type.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Before you use it in your furnace, you might want to check with the furnace mfgr as to what could happen should you burn some kind of bad oil. What might the cost be for experimentation? Other tests, such as PH are cheap and easy. Alkalinity would be a flag, I'd think.

I'd filter the heck out of the input to the transfer pump, too. Clear hose to check for water and debris?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Before you use it in your furnace, you might want to check with the furnace mfgr as to what could happen should you burn some kind of bad oil. What might the cost be for experimentation? Other tests, such as PH are cheap and easy. Alkalinity would be a flag, I'd think.

I'd filter the heck out of the input to the transfer pump, too. Clear hose to check for water and debris? ====================================================

And, of course, the old dilute, dilute, dilute would be extra insurance. Mix this stuff in at 5 or 10% with your current fuel oil to slow and limit any damage, and look over the burner after running some number of gallons through the heater.

Reply to
Carl Ijames

Excellent advice, Carl.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I was given the Club Car golf cart and found it wouldn't charge. Under ten bucks later, with the new 12" battery cable, it charged just fine. One rotted cable-end was the culprit.

I got a fairly new, perfectly usable vacuum cleaner at a garage sale. I had turned it over and found the pet hair and dust bunnies which clogged the intake, so I grabbed it, spent 5 minutes at home cleaning it out, and it vacuumed just wonderfully.

Ditto numerous mowers, tillers, weed-eaters, and machinery. It has a broken wheel or layer of rust? Can't identify a tool? "Toss it." they say, and I happily haul it off, repair it, and use or sell it.

I noticed some other things as I was winding down the business. Most of my clients had been totally helpless with DIY/mech/elec. devices and probably 80%+ had been KoolAid-drinkin', CNN-watchin' Dems. I had to keep a real tight rein on my lips.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I diagnosed a non-charging 36V golf cart for a neighbor. It had a strange ferroresonant charger with a relay that the cart battery has to energize in order to enable the charger output. The battery was too low to do it so I boosted it with a power supply.

-jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Coincidentally I was discussing that last night with a female professional photographer, while otherwise drinking beer and making animal sounds with the guys around a bonfire out in the woods.

Her current art project is documenting tradesmen to show them as normal humans to an audience of lawyers, stockbrokers et al who look down on manual skills (that they lack).

-jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

The Soviet version is that Stalin knew the leaked telegrams were fake and used them to justify purging his opponents. That might be a face-saving excuse though several major historical events did go that way.

Iraqi defector "Curveball" gave false, unverifiable testimony that Saddam's chemical weapons programs were continuing in secret. Saddam later told the FBI that his deceptions were aimed at Iran, not us. He mistakenly believed we could see through them, but apparently we couldn't and didn't want to anyway.

LBJ manipulated questionable radar returns that could have been either North Vietnamese patrol boats or lightning strikes to justify the Tonkin Gulf Resolution.

A German telegram calculated to offend French honor provoked the 1871 declaration of war and crushing defeat that left France hungry for revenge (WW1) . At that point most of Europe was itching for an excuse for war, except for the Tsar.

"The First Hague Conference came from a proposal on 24 August 1898 by Russian Tsar Nicholas II."

-jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Bravo. I likely faced the same circuit and the open circuit of the corroded-in-two cable end showed it a low voltage.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

LOL

Yes, being a blue-collar worker from day 1, I have felt the scorn of so called "professional" people. (people of color aren't the only people who are discriminated against.)

I'm heartened to hear that she is doing that project, and I hope it goes viral.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

The envious scorn goes both ways, I get it for being a college graduate. I settled the argument with one tradesman by telling him that a degree may not prove superior intelligence but it does demonstrate the persistence to complete a long, tedious and boring task.

Obtaining a science or engineering degree is so far beyond normal experience that it isn't a good example to compare to.

My mother worked at the NH State Library where a degree in -anything- was required for promotion above her level.

-jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Jim Wilkins

I don't know about envy, but I can imagine that it is even more widespread nowadays, with what colleges are turning out. Video: parents attended 8% of job interviews and 3% of parents actually participated in the interview. Aren't Millennials interesting?

In the past, more scorn went out to overeducated folks who had a dozen post-nominal letters after their name, but who couldn't tie their own shoes. (I think Rodney Dangerfield picked up his respect schtick from some of them.) That said, too many people can't handle someone around them knowing more than they do, and that's a shame.

That it does, plus, there are many types of intelligence.

=Extreme= STEM.

Lots of companies now require some degree in whatever to even accept your resume/CV.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Really? Corrupt News Network links?

Wow, how did that article get by CNN "editors"? It casts aspersions on Lefties! It tells truths! Postmodernist cultural Marxists will disavow it.

It's a gem. Thank you, Mark Bauerlein. MAGA

P.S: I read an article (no cite) describing Ashkenazi Jews as having the highest average IQs, followed by Asians, and Whites. Speaking of jealous scorn, do you think those groups have felt it? Me, too.

Just found this, which parallels the other article:

Larry Jaques

I got my degree from the school of hard knocks.

ANd like Marty Raney " you want my resume' ? -" and he shows his work-worn hands - - -

Reply to
Clare Snyder

That, in the form of the US Army, is where I began my automotive and electronic training. Further education in them plus all machining were OJT.

-jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

+1 for that.
Reply to
Larry Jaques

My "rawhide wrench" has turned ito "fine kid leather" over the years since I stopped wrenching full-time, but one look at my hands and it's obvious they've worked for a living sometime in their life - - -. A closer look finds a few fingertips wider than the rest, as well as scar tissue on knuckles, as well as a few good scars from cuts - and more recently the displacement of joints due to arthritis - - -

Reply to
Clare Snyder