Husqvarna Chainsaw Fiasco

The point is that he should not have to pay for an hour's labor. He bought a new saw. It doesn't work.

It's not his fault the saw is defective.

The issue is whether or not he should have to send it back for warranty repair or get the local dealer to do it.

Mail order has been around for decades. The internet is just enhanced mail order. It's not going to go away.

What I want to know is whether the dealer has a contractual obligation to the manufacturer to repair a product purchased elsewhere.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

No I just post for fun and profit. hehe.

I am not bashing Husqvarna but I am posting to my 3 favorite groups. It would be 4 groups but I dont think that alt.bread.recipes cares about 9hp chainsaws.

If I was more aware of the dealer / mfgr situation I would of bought locally on this purchase as this saw could require alot of service. I am using it to mill lumber with an alaskan jig. But in the end I am glad I did not buy from the dealer as he is really a jerk to deal with. I called the owner personally and we had an amiable discussion but he still had the opinion that I was just out to wreck his business by buying over the cursed internet. I've since called other dealers and they are happy to look at it or work on it warranty if it needs it. Only difference is I have to drive 20 miles instead of 2.

Personally I would rather have the dealer prove himself worthy of my future business than lip service and still get bad service after buying at dealer prices. That happened to me with John Deere.

For that I'll take the discount online, if all I have is thieves and liars to deal with then I'll take the lowest price, just like at the car dealer. hehe.

Rich

PS( My Lowes Poulon 49cc 20 inch saw is kicking butt. I've cut down about 19 palm trees, 1 oak and 1 hackberry plus other trimming jobs etc and I am amazed it works so well. I did not expect much out of it so I guess I am happy with whatever I get!)

Reply to
Rich

So I drive my Ford to Disneyland and having an under warranty transmission problem have it serviced. I pay the dealer the difference between the Arizona vehicle price and the California price for the repair?

Joel. phx

Reply to
Joel Corwith

If all you have locally is thieves and liars then ship it

they obviously do a big business both in servicing and selling Husky saws by mail order / internet.

I'm lucky to have a local shop that I trust and that takes good care of me, happens to be a Stihl shop so I am a "stihl" person. If they weren't here I'd have bought a Husky from Baileys rather than deal with the local alternatives.

Bob

Reply to
Toolbert

With all due respect I did not mean he should have to pay one hours labour. All I was trying to say was the cost to buy the thing locally probably wouldn't have been no more than one hours labour and he would be going through all this trouble. On top of that the local dealer would probably have fixed it under warrantee if he hadn't pulled the carb apart. If the dealer wouldn't fixed it under warrantee he could have taken them to small claims court. The fact that he has done some work on the carb has probably voided any warrantee that might have been on the unit.

Your right mail order houses have been around for years but the internet and E-Bay in particular have attracted a new form of mail order business that doesn't exactly market after sales service as a selling point. I have one friend who is getting excellent after sales service from a New York Camera store but everything he has bought has had to be returned at least twice and still after 3 month they haven't solved all the problems with defective merchandise.

IMHO to save money in the long shop locally or suffer the consequences.

Jimbo

Reply to
Jimbo

This has nothing to do with reimbursement rates. If the shop doesn't make money doing warranty work, then why do it?

Also, the warranty is between the manufacturer and the consumer, executed by authorized service centers. I don't personally care if the shop makes nothing - they agreed to be an agent of the company and honor the warranty.

That said, this shop had a chance to convert a non-customer into one, and failed miserably. The shop owner didn't look at potential future business, only that Rich didn't buy the saw from him, so screw him.

I'm glad you personally chose to honor warranty work from people who didn't purchase from you, but fail to see why you would take 50% of your normal rate for it.

Reply to
Rick Chamberlain

Joel Corwith:

No Joel that's not what I mean.

Buying from a company that is part of the dealer network protects you from that. If the seller is not part of that dealer network or a Grey Market dealer your not in the dealer network anymore.

Nikon USA does not give warrantee coverage on cameras that do not have a serial numbers proving they where legally imported into the USA for sale as new camera's. However a tourist or any other person with a broken camera can get their camera repaied N/C in the USA or any other country by proving it was purchased from a licenced dealer any where in the world. It all comes down to buying from an authorized dealer not some guy who buys up bankrucy stock or out of date models and sells them cheap.

Reply to
Jimbo

Worse yet, a LARGE percentage are "reconditioned". Part and parcel of dealing with the big box stores where no-one knows squat about the product. Customer isn't happy? Take it back. Send it back to Husky, or whoever. They send all the stuff to some "recoditioner" in Mexico who cleans them up, tests them and reboxes them. They then end up at liquidators with NO FACTORY WARRANTY. Any company who wants to keep their reputation for producing excellent products and providing exemplary service needs to avoid the WalMarts and Home Depots of the world like the plague. In electronics and computers in particular, put Office Place, Office Depot, Best buy, and suchlike on the same list.

Reply to
clare

Local, *where*?

If the dealers only honor warranties from local purchases, then the notion of a price from a local dealer is moot.

It does him no good if he lives in NYC, and your price is only good in Yuma, Arizona.

Jim

jim rozen

I did not set the warranty labor rate, the manufacturer did. As a servicing dealer I felt I was obligated to do warranty work. I may have had a choice to refuse some jobs, I don't know. In the long run it possibly paid off, getting more regular sevice from previous warranty customers. I was doing what I felt best to increase my bussiness, I may have been wrong! (considering I went broke doing it!) Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Not at all. If you have a bill of sale from an authorized dealer, then we'll honor the warranty.

If you bought it from a non-authorized reseller, then it's you break it, we fix it, you pay for it and then you submit a claim to the reseller.

We don't sell Husky.

-Carl

Reply to
Carl Byrns

Bullshit. Toro _Authorized_ dealers can turn warranty work away on items they did not sell, and because they tend to be mom-n-pop hardware stores, they do. Toro _Master Service_ dealers cannot turn work away because they are primarily power equipment dealers and have enough employees to handle the service work.

In either case, Toro does not pay a higher labor or parts rate.

-Carl (who works for a Toro distributor)

Reply to
Carl Byrns

I see now differenc ein if you bought a saw and then moved 1000 miles away to another town and had problems, Husky has to honor their warranty no matter where or how you gopt youor saw. Sure it may not be given first priority but if its actually warranted a Husky dealer should fix it. Find a Husky dealer thats not a jerk and don't tell em you bought it cheaper off the internet. I think I would be putting me up a website dedicated to Husky if I did not get any satisfaction out of them. I did it with Crapsman Sears and got their attention after I sent them an email pointing them to what I had on the website it did not take long until I got a call from the local service manager who was then more than eager to remedy my troubles. Visit my website:

expressed are those of my wifes, I had no input whatsoever. Remove "nospam" from email addy.

Reply to
Roy

Refusing warranty because you did ot sell it is pure bullshit! If its warranted then it should be serviced by any authorized dealer no matter where it was purchased. Visit my website:

expressed are those of my wifes, I had no input whatsoever. Remove "nospam" from email addy.

Reply to
Roy

How do you know Rich bought the saw new? He said he bought it on the internet- maybe from eBay? Or an outfit like Northern that sells 'factory serviced' returned units that don't have a warranty, or have a very limited one.

I don't know what you do for living, but I doubt your employer would be thrilled if I bought a bunch of his (broken) products from some secondary market and then demanded he fix them for free. Of course, if he refuses, I'd bitch about it on a bunch of newsgroups. Sounds fair?

-Carl

Reply to
Carl Byrns

How many traveling lumberjacks carry the receipt for their chainsaw with them?

Fair enough. Never said I had a problem with that. Now, what about those who buy from an authorized dealer but can't produce a receipt for you? Like when I travel to my cottage - I don't take my chainsaw receipt with me "just in case".

Perhaps you're just too obtuse to see the point.

Reply to
Rick Chamberlain

We don't know that. He bought a saw- it might be new old stock (sat on the shelf for three years) or some 'factory reconditioned' machine.

Depends on the company.

As I noted in another post: Toro _Authorized_ dealers can turn warranty work away on items they did not sell, and because they tend to be mom-n-pop hardware stores, they do. This is to protect the small dealer from being swamped by work from a big-box store (BTW, most warranty problems are caused by the customer).

Toro _Master Service_ dealers cannot turn work away because they are primarily power equipment dealers and have enough employees to handle the service work.

-Carl (who works for a Toro distributor)

Reply to
Carl Byrns

Good for you Carl. So tell that to my Toro dealer who told me point blank that he does get a higher rate for those items he doesn't sell. Perhaps he's a master service dealer?

Reply to
Rick Chamberlain

Are you trying to tell me that dealers have no way to check on serial numbers to see when they were manufactured? At the very least, you can figure out if the warranty is going to be iffy and call the manufacturer on behalf of the customer.

Yes, it is. If it is under warranty and you are an agent of the company who provides that warranty, you are under oblation to fix the item.

If you can prove the item is out of warranty, or there was neglect or abuse that voided the warranty, then you have no obligation to fix the item.

The dealer fixes nothing for free when it is warranty work, so please don't imply that it costs you to perform warranty service. Because if that is true, then you are truly in the wrong line of work.

You know, if you were a true businessman, you'd see this as an opportunity to win future business away from another vendor instead as seeing it as a burden.

Reply to
Rick Chamberlain

Good question. I'll ask my consumer products service rep- I work in commercial.

-Carl

Reply to
Carl Byrns