HY-100 or HY-80 steel question

Is HY-80 or HY-100 steel any good for using in rifle barrels?

It is possible to harden the surface on the inside of a barrel?

I think a titanium barrel would be pretty exotic, and probarly wery expensive.

Reply to
HÃ¥ken Hveem

Don't have a clue what that material is. Designations are different here in the States. Can you describe it in better detail?

Possible by induction heating, depending on the alloy, but likely not economical, nor necessary. Reason?

Fun to drill, too! Have you worked with titanium?

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos

Heavy duty steel

These are both use for submarine pressure hulls. The 1960'w era built boats that I was on use the HY-80. I belive that they went to HY-100 or better with the Posiedon class missile subs in the 1970's.

Howard R Garner

Reply to
Howard R Garner

all titanium revolver, so it is possible to make a rifle barrel out of titanium. "Harold & Susan Vordos" skrev i melding news:41990204$1 snipped-for-privacy@newspeer2.tds.net...

Reply to
HÃ¥ken Hveem

It is possible to make a titanium barrel, but they are hard to machine, difficult to rifle, and they don't shoot very well. It's been tried, and it don't work very good.

Tony

an all titanium revolver, so it is possible to make a rifle barrel out of

Reply to
Tony

There are no Titanium barrel guns. They don't work. What they do is make the barrel shroud from Ti and use a liner of some other material, such as stainless.

If you read your referenced article, it even states the same:

Like all other Taurus Total Titanium and MultiAlloy revolvers, the Tracker barrel is constructed of forged titanium with a high-tensile-strength stainless bore liner. Titanium is much more elastic than steel, which makes it extremely durable but also means an all-titanium barrel will not hold rifling. It stretches flat with the bullet's pressure impact. The stainless-steel bore sleeve solves that problem

Tony

an all titanium revolver, so it is possible to make a rifle barrel out of

Reply to
Tony

HY80, I believe, is the alloy used in submarine hulls. It is also known as MIL S-16216. That spec means that it comes hardened and tempered to 80 ksi yield strength (thus the 80 in HY80). Similarly HY100 is hardened to 100 ksi yield strength.

Don't know nothin' about rifle barrels, but that's what I know about those alloys.

-Justin

Reply to
Justin

HY-80 and HY-100 are US desinations for steels commonly used for submarine hulls. I think the name stands for high yield 80,000 lbs yield strength. I did not answer when I first saw this thread. I am not sure what makes a good rifle barrel steel. My first guess is resistance to erosion for wildcat cartridges that blow a lot of powder down the barrel and have short barrel life. And I have no idea of how HY-80 would be for that. For a target rifle, I would think a steel that machines well would make a better barrel.

Dan

Reply to
Dan Caster

Thanks to all for the enlightenment. Considering my lack of experience in marine vessels, it doesn't surprise me that I had never heard of the material.

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos

Heck, I'd just wire EDM the barrel bore. Get the rifling done that way too. Step one, drill a long thin deep hole down the center of the stock....

:^)

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

And I thought it might be difficult! :-)

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos