I DID IT! CNC RETROFIT (long)

I finally got the old CNC running with a new control. Maybe some of you have seen AJAX advertised in HSM. Well, it turns out these are the same folks who make Centroid controls. You can do a basic retro-fit for less than $3000.00. I used the old servo motors and encoders as they were good and the power xmfr because it was the correct voltage for the servos. I was told, by someone who did it, that it would take about 40 hours to do the install and this is about right. It took me about twice as long but I'm slow (really). If you need a complete schematic this is not for you. But, if you know a little electronics, electricity, and basic safety interlocks then this is a good way to go. For the most part all my questions were answered. This happens mostly through e-mail. There were a couple times I know they thought I was daft but it turns out that some things were mis-labeled and that the manual deals with a "jog pendant" that they sell. It can also be run from a keyboard and that's what I'm doing to save $615.00. But it runs a little different than the manual says. There are also some ambiguities in the manual. I bought a keyboard emulator for $50.00 including shipping and after I find a suitable keypad will make my own dedicated panel/pendant. The main thing is to make sure that you understand things like how to wire a contactor so that a motor can't be switched forward and reverse at the same time. Or how to use relays to control high voltages so they stay in the cabinet and none of your buttons are connected to deadly voltages or currents, A good source of buttons for the e-stop etc is Automation Direct. They have the best prices, are really helpful, and ship on time. Ebay is another place to look for contactors and related stuff if your old stuff is bad. The next thing I'm gonna buy is one of those variable frequency drives so I don't have to change rpm by turning a handle. Thanks to help from DoN here and another fellow from the basic electronics group I was able to wire up the nine windings in the fanuc xmfr without blowing fuses or letting out any magic smoke. If anyone here wants to do a machine with a fanuc or any other control I'd be glad to help. That about covers it. Ask any questions you like. Typing hurts my hands so don't expect long answers like this via e-mail. Best thing for me is a phone call. I pay 2.9 cents a minute so don't mind placing a call. Anyway, my hands are really bugging me now and I keep striking the wrong keys so that's the end. Cheers, Eric R Snow, E T Precision Machine

Reply to
Eric R Snow

Great Job Eric. How about some pictures of the machine and the control posted to the RCM Drop Box? Marty

Eric R Snow wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Reply to
Marty Escarcega

Second the request for pictures! Our B'port R2E3 w/BOSS 8 control is getting more ane more flakey by the day and a retrofit may be in our near future.

Concerning your typing difficulty, have you considered one of the voice recognition packages? I tried one about six years ago, IBM Via Voice IIRC, and was not too impressed but probably great strides have been made in the meantime.

Errol Groff Instructor, Machine Tool Department H.H. Ellis Tech

613 Upper Maple Street Danielson, CT 06239

860 774 8511 x1811

Errol Groff

I'll try to post some this week. It's too bad that I didn't take a before picture. But it just show an empty cabinet anyway. ERS

Reply to
Eric R Snow

--More details! Photos, too, please! I'm getting ready to retrofit a cnc mill (manufacturer is going belly-up) and the cheapest good pkg I've seen is in the 5-figures range...

Reply to
steamer