I welded aluminum today

Sounds like SANTA needs to find a pith helmet or a hard hat for Wayne and a torch handle thumb wheel to replace the foot pedal!

Big E as I was once called in my younger years has both! Find the helmet hard to wear cutting trees or working in the shop. Standing around like a pit boss is fun.

Martin Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH, NRA Life NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder

Wayne Cook wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Would he need a leather cup? If so, I think he's going to need to come up to San Francisco to get one. I think his only choice is likely to be black leather with studs on it. I'm not sure I'd want to be around when he suits up for welding...

Yesterday I needed to TIG a couple of small pieces together and did it with my latex gloves on. Of course I grabbed the hot end of the filler rod with my torch hand in order to move a piece with my filler rod hand. I doubt I looked as dramatic as Gunner, but I'm betting we said some of the same words.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Grey

I think I better make a double sided half dollar now. Prolly start with a penny and work my up Gotta search the couch Oh here it is. i alredy have one no wait... it's a pocket watch looked like a coin fer a moment don't we all look like coins fer a moment? A phrase well coined will surely brighten someone.... and is that not what we are here for essentialy? Thank you all for the wisdom you have shared and letting me spew this utter nonsense occasionaly. Go commit some building on someones life. Gravity gets in the way. A wise woman once said... well, I can't think of a wise woman right now hasta la vista danny

Reply to
daniel peterman

Gunner,

Congratulations. You've found a position not mentioned in the Kama Sutra.

VT

Reply to
Vernon

LOL, me also.

Many, if not most times I have no helper and things can get down right unforgettable. Onward through the fog comes to mind.

Reply to
Sunworshipper

Cats? You evidently dont have cats...

Yep, got cats... 4 of 'em.

For some reason though, Monty Python's Confuse-A-Cat skit came to mind when I read your post..LOL.

And reminds me of the time a co-worker was TIGging a part, went to reposition the part, and sat the torch in his lap, accidentally hit the pedal...YEP, zapped him right on the 'lil fireman! Youch! Funny thing to have to explain/show the company nurse.

Ron

Reply to
doo

Im closer to West Hollywood. Where barbed wire and dog collars are considered Marital Aids.....

I wonder how many here have seen a 400lbs fellow in minimal leather attire, on a leash, held by a 5'2", 100 lb minimally leather attired androgenous woman/guy.

West Hollywood..got to love it if you are secure in your pyche..will run screaming from it if you are sheltered....

Indeed. My little submission was heavily ediited as befits a family group. Id exhausted most of my Anglo-Saxon adjetives, was well into the ones from SEA, interspersed with the Germanic ones. seasoned with Finnish ones...

Sigh.....its always funnier after the fact.....

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Gunner, congrats, and thanks for the laughs. I know the pain of which you speak, hence why I can laugh about it

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Damn betcha. When the ol' dawg can't learn new tricks it's end game. Keep a round in the spout in case you're unlucky enough not to check out sooner.

Reply to
Don Foreman

My living will is quite specific on that issue. The day I stop learning is the day before they kick dirt over my box.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

TeeHee... just don't mount any spare tires to it.... Ken.

Reply to
Ken Sterling

Now this leads to to the question... Can you teach a cat to weld? Will their little paws actually hold the tig torch? They have the sight definition but can you get an auto dark helmet for a cat? Why build robots when we already have cats? Something to ponder....

Reply to
daniel peterman

For me it's my new pet project. I'm building a tank for use in paintball games. I'm not near good enough with a tig to tackle aluminum, but I still get into some interesting predicaments trying to weld at different angles and still reach the pedal.

Reply to
Dave Lyon

Are you talking about an armored tank that moves on tracks, or a tank for air?

If it is the former, I can sell you some 3/16" tungsten electrodes to make paintballs that would penetrate aluminum tanks. :)

Ignoramus20878

I'm talking about an armored tank that moves on tracks . Except it's really more of an armored security vehicle modeled after the m1117 guardian. This is the 2nd one I've built. The first one looks a bit like a box on wheels although it does have twin axles with duel tires in the back. :) It sports a 3" main gun operating from CO2. It shoots 90 paintballs per shot.

My new one is going to be more realistic looking if I ever get the time to finish it. It will have a semi auto main gun shooting foam "darts" of my own design. It will also have a 2400 round per minute chain gun shooting standard paintballs.

As for your Armour piercing tungsten, I think I better pass. I've made a number of paintball "weapons" the most challenging part by far is making something that won't actually hurt somebody. :)

Reply to
Dave Lyon

Sounds great!

You could buy a Davey diesel compressor, add an air motor powered drive, and shoot paintballs continuously like a machinegun.

Very nice. I hope that you will post some pictures.

I was just kidding...

Ignoramus20878

Ditto the "somewhere else" feeling. No, I meant a fiberglass cup so when the foot pedal hits him the next time...

I learned my lesson and got a HF leather apron before trying to weld the plate to my truck frame. I still need to get that done and will have to grind more of a miter on the thick angle iron section before doing so. But it has to stop raining before that. I don't want to be a nice ground for a stick welder, knowwhatimean,vern?

No doubt.

I had a visit from the UPS guy last night in the dark. I ordered the $4 (delivered!) Miller welding calculator set. It'll be really handy!

--- - Sarcasm is just one more service we offer. -

Web Applications

Reply to
Larry Jaques

LOL...blush. After rebuilding the new spare tire carrier..and properly welding it using something other than a HF Mig..so far its held up nicely for about 80,000 miles.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Gunner, you get 3 chuckles out of a maximum of 3. Been there, done that. But not nearly quite the way you describe, although I have used every extrimety of my body and every possible possition known to man and God to squeeze my foot pedal together at one time or another. Still chuckling. Bill

Reply to
lathenut

Congrats on the welding and a funny story! I had to clean a fair amount of my morning Pepsi off my shirt and monitor/keyboard from laughing at the wrong time.

I have seen Nomex lined caps and Nomex lined gloves, I have not seen a Nomex lined codpiece. It might be marketable!

I have had similar experiences with very "out of position" tig welding myself, including setting my jeans on fire.

Keep laughing, Bob

Reply to
MetalHead