I went to a school (machinery) auction

------------- Your observation parallels what I have observed, not only at machine shop auctions but also farm auctions in this area [SE Kansas].

As several people have observed, the US is going to be screwed but good when we have to start making stuff again in this country, even if its the repair parts to keep the obsolete equipment running because the parts are no longer available or because the foreign producers want too much money in US dollar terms.

I can't fault the people that are not going into the machining trades or agriculture, because if they are smart enough to make it there, they are smart enough to make it somewhere else with a lot less effort, a lot less investment, and much better working conditions.

Unka' George [George McDuffee]

F. George McDuffee

"> I sure hope I'm wrong.

I bet you are not."

I took that as "I bet you are not wrong".

Reply to
ATP*

On Tue, 07 Apr 2009 17:26:25 -0400, the infamous Wes scrawled the following:

I used "Tim", with the quotes and it removed only the bad guy immediately.

-- You can't do anything about the length of your life, but you _can_ do something about its width and depth. -- Evan Esar

Reply to
Larry Jaques

That's how I read it too.

Reply to
Don Foreman

I don't know if it will make you feel any better Tim, but we have exactly the same problem here on theother side of the world. Australia has lost most of its manufacturing skills and, if it did decide to go back into manufacturing, would have to purchase all its manufacturing machinery from China. If it wasn't for mining we would be rooted!

Reply to
Grumpy

Why, I was agreeing with you.

Reply to
Tim

I didn't over react? With the latest batch of crap, my kill filter and delete thread finger is working on overtime.

Wes

-- "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -- PJ O'Rourke

Reply to
Wes

On Wed, 08 Apr 2009 20:13:25 -0400, the infamous Wes scrawled the following:

I set aside one finger, full-time, for that purpose alone. I only see about 40% of the group threads now, and it would be less if Agent would let me filter out any specific poster or posts with their quotations in it. I continue to hammer at Forte for that function or a full-text filter. My guess is that it would slow things down a lot, but I for one would be happy to put up with that in trade.

-- You can't do anything about the length of your life, but you _can_ do something about its width and depth. -- Evan Esar

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Use Newsproxy to prefilter the crap.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Guess I blew it. Sorry Tim.

wes

Reply to
Wes

------------------- This appears to be a world wide problem in that in their drive to "modernize," the governmental and private policy makers have "eaten the seed corn."

What was sold as progress and profit has turned out to be capital consumption/disipation.

Just as manufacturing is not sustainable unless you continually update/maintain your machines, manpower, methods, products & equipment, farming is not sustainable when you deplete resources such as water and gouge on inputs such as credit, insecticide, fertilizer and seed.

India did however manage to speed up the process. It took the U.S. about 100 years 1865-1965 to go through the cycle. India did it in less than a generation.

{includes audio if you have good internet connection}