If you were building the dream shop

The electronics tech equivalent of reaching over and quitely switching off your neighbor's soldering iron.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Speaking of concrete and shops...For you fellows with in-floor radiant heat with the PEX type tubing, do any of you have an auto lift or anything else drilled and bolted into the floor? If so what preparations did you make beforehand? I live in NC and am considering this type of heating, along with a gas pack for quick heat-up, but I like to bolt some of my workshop tools down. I know I could map the PEX zones, but there may be other ideas. I'm off work 3 days a week, so I would use the radiant heat for extended shop projects, and the gas pack for short stays. Any other ideas on this? Also, another of the best things I have ever spent time and money on was a hoist monorail across the ceiling of my present shop. In this shop, there is a door on each side so that I can do a drive through with a trailer load of goods, and unload onto dollys with a chain hoist. It also runs across my in-floor bike lift to allow me to pull bike front ends, and across my welding table to allow me to handle heavy weldments. Car engines are pulled in the drive through area. Larger weldments are built in this zone to allow flipping over with the hoist. The 32 foot long 6" I beam is supported on each end by a 4" pipe post, with 1/2" B7 rods tapped into 1"tall 1-1/2" diameter hot rolled adaptor sockets welded to the top of the beam every 2 feet, protruding up through the trusses. A 2X4 clamping plate is running along the top of the bottom chord of the trusses, at the triangulation point, using flat bar washers, lockwashers, and nuts through drilled holes to clamp the beam to the trusses, making it "somewhat" mutually supporting. It was tested by measuring to the floor, then picking up the front end of a

66 Impala in mid-air, then checking deflection in the middle. It's been in service for 23 years, and has made me thousands of dollars in being able to handle machines to resell by myself. Heavier items like mills and such are unloaded by using a pair of adjustable stiff knees, one on each side of the trailer to localize the support, then I just drive out from under it. There are 3 trolleys with various hoists on them. My soon -to-be new shop will not be without something similar.

RJ

"Toolbert" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@news.teranews.com...

Previously

Transitions

Reply to
Backlash

Any photos? I'd like to see some. Thanks.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

Perfect solution so the garage floor can be flat with the driveway: Slot trench drain with cast-in-place concrete body and cast iron grates. Stops the water coming under the door, allows the area to be dead flat, and should be plenty strong enough for any steel casters or other point loads you can throw at it.

If we ever get around to installing french drains from the side street (low point on property) to the front yard I'll put in a trench drain in front of the garage door as we pass by. Right now, we have no place to send the water. Heck, I might just make the trench an open section of the drain system - 20' less drain pipe to clog...

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

I have radiant heat in my new shop and having a lift in mind already, embedded a frame in the floor at pour time. This made it easy to route around it for the tubing and gives me something very solid to bolt to when I get to installing the lift. For now I am still finishing the rest of the shop, so the lift can wait. I plugged the holes with styrofoam. Removing it will be a matter of a little gasoline and the stuff will melt right away.

JW

Reply to
Jeridiah

All the racer supply places still sell halon fire systems, and hand-held units, today. There is a new product out that is water-based and almost as equipment-friendly. Much cheaper, but may not be suitable for hand-helds.

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 06:58:52 GMT, Bruce L. Bergman wrote:

|On 11 Jan 2004 09:48:36 -0800, jim rozen |wrote: |>In article , Bruce L. Bergman |>says... | |>> Oh, and a VERY important note: Go get that Halon extinguisher you, |>>um, "inherited"... serviced by a professional shop at least every 6 |>>years, even if you've never used it - they have found that the O-ring |>>seals on the discharge nozzle crack from age and leak out the charge, |>>so you need to get them replaced before your precious (and expensive) |>>gas escapes. "Save the Ozone Layer" and all that bilge... ;-) |>

> [...]

Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B

OK, that's something I did not understand, but do now. I was unaware that there was a nitrogen propellant.

It's made by Amerex corp, and is a five pound halon

1211 unit. It's rated 10BC btw.

I will perform the 'hypothetical' service call shortly! Thanks - Jim

jim rozen

Thanks for the story - so many of us were there...

Martin

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn