Import Tax?

Does anyone happen to know whether there is an import tax or duty that would
be payable on the import of an old used milling machine from the UK (and, if
so, how much it is)? Thanks in advance. Ed R.
Reply to
Ed R.
Assuming you're in the US, it's all here:
(look around tariff item number 8459, as usual used is the same rate as new.)
and here
Looks like 3.3-4.2% maximum, unless the machine you're getting from the UK happens to be *made* in one of the few naughty countries such as the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (column 2 is for them). If it happens to be made in the US, Canada (or Israel etc.) it would be free.
Best regards, Spehro Pefhany
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany
I'm going to resist the compulsion to ask you what you do with Tunisian anchors. Yes, I am.
Furthermore, I'm not even going to ask you what the charges were for your FIRST 2,600 pound shipment of anchors from Tunisia, nor how many of these shipments you've been getting recently. 'Not even what they look like. Nope...
-- Ed Huntress (remove "3" from email address for email reply)
Reply to
Ed Huntress
It came from shooting off my mouth over in r.b.cruising. I came up with the brilliant idea of getting a bunch of us together to order a couple of pallets of these super expensive, top rated sexy looking French designed boat anchors. They are called "Spades" and West Marine was charging an arm and a leg for them. We saved a bunch of money but unfortunately as it was my idea I got to do all the work. At any rate I have been selling Tunisian boat anchors for a couple of years now to suplement the boat kitty. I get 4 or 5 shipments a year. Not bad for no advertising other than a web site and shooting my mouth off on the newsgroups. :-)
The most expensive one that I have sold was a 66 pound polished 316 Stainless for $1,600. Not a bad price considering the customer put it on the end of 300' of 3/8 stainless chain at about $18/foot.
You can see a picture on my shameless commerce page. :-)
A wierd story: After the France/Iraq thing happened, a customer called to cancel his order. Said he just couldn't buy any French products. I mentioned that they were not made in France but Tunisia. Probably by terrorist but definitely not French. He replied "Oh, OK send it on!" Go figger. :-)
Ed Huntress wrote:
Reply to
Glenn Ashmore
Me and Johnny Walker with help from Mr. Schweppes. :-)
I do need to go back over it.
Reply to
Glenn Ashmore
On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 19:33:03 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@asdfasdfsdffff.com (John Flanagan) pixelated:
I'd love to redo it for him. ;)
"Be the change you want to see in the world." --Mahatma Gandhi - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Website Application Programming
Reply to
Larry Jaques
Thanks Spehro - it looks like 4.2% is right and thanks Glenn for the heads up on the "we'll bleed you dry one way or another . . . " charges
Embedded software/hardware/analog Info for designers:

Ed R.
"Scope" is the ratio of line to depth + height of the chock or fairlead above the water as in "I am on a 5:1 scope." Rode is the line itself as in "I have out 150' of rode." If the depth of the water is 25' and the bow is 5' above the water, 150' of rode is a 5:1 scope. A "road" is an anchrage or harbor as in Hamton Roads.
Generally you can get by with a 3 or 4:1 scope with an all chain rode and 5:1 with rope/chain rode in a protected anchorage. Maximum hold is developed at about 7:1 on all chain and 8 or 9:1 on the typical rope with 10'chain rode.
When you are selling anchors your brain gets cluttered with all sorts of strange details. :-)
Ned Simm> >
Reply to
Glenn Ashmore
From poking around a bit, it looks to me as though the original definition of scope was the length of the rode overboard, but more recent usage tends toward defining it in terms of a ratio, per the rules of thumb.
Chapman and many online sources treat scope as a ratio. The CG auxiliary, the OED, and Funk & Wagnalls refer to absolute length. The relevant (for the most part old) quotations in the OED make sense only if scope is a length.
Change comes slow here downeast.
Ned Simmons
Reply to
Ned Simmons