Incredible safety-saw

Both wrong and right. If people get careless because of a safety-feature, it is getting dangerous. Think of someone who is accustomed to the feature using a normal saw. Outch! OTOH, how many cabinet makers do you know that still do have all fingers? Not all lost them because of carelessness, but because of a combination of unexpected incidents (stumble, blade caught, distracted by a co-worker, ...).

Anyhow, that rule will be true forever: Switch on your brain, then the machine.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

Whenever I see a friend of me using his table-saw, I only can say "Siggi, pay attention" and then I immediately have to leave.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

On Sat, 09 Jun 2007 05:17:46 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Gunner quickly quoth:

ROTFLMAO! You're the first to mention those, Gunner. ;)

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Basically, it fires a brake shoe into the teeth of spinning blade to stop rotation. A bit hard on the blades but easy on fingers.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Wonder how long it'll be before somebody loses a finger because they didn't properly clean and/or maintain the mechanism or had it turned off and files the lawsuit? :)

Reply to
John Husvar

I was thinking someone with too much money and not enough brains saying "Hold my beer and watch this!".

Wes

Reply to
Wes

IS the blade salvageable after stopping the saw?

When i saw the original article it LOOKED like the blades were wrecked by woodworking shop standards but it seemed like the blade might be recoverable with a differnt set of tools

Or is it not worth the time? Last i saw the brake shoe was AL and Al whould be able to be separated without making a total mess of the blade or so i thought

Or am I wrong and the mechanism has changed since december 2003

Reply to
Brent

--The short answer is 'sometimes'.. If you can dig the two apart and the teeth of the saw are undamaged it's important to check for warpage. If all is looking good I'd give it a whirl, ha-ha. The first time, when the cartridge triggered in error, the saw wasn't spinning so there was no damage. The second time it triggered as it was supposed to, when I got the sawblade out, it was missing three carbide teeth, so that was that. Still no complaints: the blade was maybe $20.- and I had all my fingers..

--Yes, it's aluminum but if you look at it a bit more you'll see that it's designed that way on purpose, to collapse under a shock load and entangle sawblade teeth. I keep the fired cartridge assy on a peg in the shop where I can see it every day, to keep me on my toes. ;-)

Reply to
steamer

I'm glad i'm not the only one who thinks that way

my desktop background is a peice of melamine that i was working on while too tired

the saw grabbed it and threw it into my leg to the point where two weeks later i still have bits of the bruise on my leg that was the size of my hand

Reply to
Brent

I once cut a piece of MDF at 45 degrees, blade tipped toward fence. Oh gd mf, ouch, pant pant pant, ouch. Who the fk just shot me.

Every time I use my table saw, I ask myself, how can this thing hurt me today.

I wonder if anyone has come up with a glove that can stand up to a saw? I remember being forced to use a chain mail glove slicing onions while on mess duty during my hitch in the USMC. Might be cheaper technology given the price of the cartriges and a Forest WWII blade.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Probably the best advice of all. But, add "or someone else" to the "me."

I've been using wood and metal machines for over 40 years. Not only do I still have all my fingers, I've never needed stitches and only rarely, a band-aid.

But, I was once doing something dangerous with my table saw. I was being very careful not to put myself in a position where it could "get" me, but a friend of mine was there. I told him repeatedly to stay out of a certain area, but he was paying no attention (he claims to suffer from attention deficit disorder...). And, sure enough, after having successfully made several pieces, the machine caught one and threw it about 30 ft. It missed him by about two feet. After that, he paid attention...

Table saws notoriously throw things. Jointers are the prime claimer of fingertips. A bandsaw blade can break and come spewing out the side of the machine and run you through if you're standing there. Grinding wheels can explode. You can write a book on the number of ways a metal shaper can get you. Lathes will happily wind up anything they can grab, including your clothing with you inside it (and that applies to gloves, too...). I've started fires with welders as well as with sparks from an angle grinder. The list goes on and on.

The bottem line is, to be safe you need to think safe. People can formulate all the safety rules they like, but, in the end, it's you and your machine. If you think about what it can do and think about what you are doing, you should be OK.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Foster

Shrug...Ive seen lots of dead people. This guy looks pretty good compared to the majority of them.

Gunner

"Try thinking of the Libertarian Party as a rolled-up newspaper, useful in making the Republican puppy (I've given up on the Democratic bitch) go where he's supposed to -- not on that beautiful antique carpet we call the Constitution." -- L. Neil Smith, Bill Clinton's Reichstag Fire

Reply to
Gunner

Yes.

One problem though, even stupid careless people deserve to keep all of their digits.

(Sometimes only barely.)

Reply to
fredfighter

I remember reading a few articles about this some where around 2 years ago.

I'm more Darwinian in my views about tools.

Reply to
Marc Britten

The table saw is tame compared to a radial arm saw! Those things are scary! At least the table saw just sits there. A radial arm saw can come get you!

Reply to
Ron Thompson

We have one in the proto shop. I tried to cut some aluminum honeycomb stock without disabling the sensor. It's right impressive when it stops things. There is a heavy spring that jams a piece of aluminum into the blade. The stop block has a series of holes in it so that it will both compress slightly and deform quite a bit to absorb the rotational energy.

The lab manager took the blade and the newly mangled stop block, made a wall clock out of it for the lab wall. Just a reminder to all concerned.

D> Hi!

Reply to
RoyJ

--FWIW I've been using one for over a year; very impressive piece of machinery. Nicely designed just from the ergonomic standpoint too; better than Jet or Delta IMO..

Reply to
steamer