Insulation: blown or fiberglass for metal garage

Which one is better for a 900 square foot garage?

Reply to
stryped

I will never use blown insulation again. You will inevitably have to do some type of alteration and have that junk falling all over your face. Get batts of insulation.

Reply to
ATP*

"ATP*" wrote in news:4acbf22f$0$31274$ snipped-for-privacy@cv.net:

@d4g2000vbm.googlegroups.com..

Assuming ceiling.

Why would you renovate an open plan shop building to the point of disturbing the ceiling? That's about the last factor I'd base a decision on with a new building.

Price out a professional install of blown in. Then compare the same R value worth of materials at the homecenter and add in the machine rental. I bet pro installed is near the material price. It doesn't take them more than a few hours for a man and helper feeding the machine to do that size building.

IMHO blown in does a better job of getting in the nooks and crannies around the trusses. It is also WAY less labour intensive than crawling around trying to not fall through the ceiling placing batts. Installing batts before the ceiling goes up is not fun either.

If you DIY blown in, crawl around first and put felt pen marks on every other truss, mark all the braces at the desired insulation depth. Blow parallel to the trusses from the eave back to the center. Blowing across will make windrows and make it hard to get the depth consistent.

Might as well use whatever is cheaper as long as it's not a ton more work to install.

Reply to
Charles U Farley

all good points, but I would prefer not to have to deal with that crap if i have to run a wire to a fan, install a vent, detector, etc.

Reply to
ATP*

snipped-for-privacy@cv.net:

Is the cellulose corrosive if it touches thre metal siding?

Reply to
stryped

stryped fired this volley in news:65565311-c383-4413- snipped-for-privacy@o36g2000vbl.googlegroups.com:

Some brands are. You'll have to get the corrosivity rating off the bag or from the manufacturer. Those that use salts of boron for a flame retardant can be incompatible with galvanized materials.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

-

I went to Lowes and looked on the package but could find nothing about corrosiveness other than it meets some specification for corrosiveness. I could not find an incrediants list to look for "Salts of Boron".

Reply to
stryped

stryped fired this volley in news:d78f4d41-1df9- snipped-for-privacy@c3g2000yqd.googlegroups.com:

Yeah, and...?? I don't guess it would have occurred to you to look up the specification, or to contact the manufacturer? Nah... ask us, instead.

It wouldn't be so painful trying to help you if you didn't throw it back in our faces every time.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh