1100 Pounds Capacity

Wadda ya think?
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber322
1100 lbs each or total for all 4?
I need to move something that weighs right at 4000 lbs. I can lift it with my ten ton mini ram, but I need to move it out of the way, do some work, and then move it back.

I believe that it is for all four together. These are light duty 2" casters, probably 100 lbs capacity each.
See if you can find a pallet jack somewhere, if you are in Chicagoland, you can borrow mine.
On Tue, 06 Oct 2009 15:08:11 -0500, Ignoramus9936 wrote:

I agree with that assessment and recommendation. Most pallet jacks I've seen are rated at 2 to 3 tons and work well for heavy loads on flat concrete. Also see <(Amazon.com product link shortened)>.
--
jiw

On Tue, 6 Oct 2009 12:57:47 -0700, "Bob La Londe"

I think 1100 lbs would be pushing it for the whole set. Take a look at the load rating on these similar castors:
http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/itemdisplay/displayItem.do?itemid 997
http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/itemdisplay/displayItem.do?itemidA518
I couldn't find a 2 inch stem castor, but the 3 inch version is only rated at 100 lbs. That would be maybe 300 lbs per corner times four, ~1200 lbs total. Heaven forbid you hit a hole or something forcing more of the load onto the others...
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

You would be low to the floor. If everything goes right, it will work. If it don't, you'll be trying to jack up 4,000# just to get the wreckage out. I'd say it's a coin toss.
I used to rig. Rule is to make it three times what you need. I don't think you'll need that much overkill, but I'd suggest at least 1.5x. Have a clean floor, use low rollers, anticipate cracks and obstructions, and tie it off if there is any slope AT ALL. Remember, once something gets going, it gains speed and aims for the most expensive item in the place.
Keep us posted.
Steve

I think all four.

I think I'll go with 4 of the smaller 1/2 ton furniture dollies then. They are only 9.99 each (if they have them in stock). Will take up more room, but I don't think it will be totally horrible. I can lift the unit with my mini ten ton ram, and just block it up until the dollies will fit under.
P.S. Even the furniture dollies are hard to move with max weight on them. I have a ton of drywall on two of them out in the shop now, and I have to wear good rubber soles and lean into it to get it to move.
Bob La Londe wrote:

What's the floor like? That'll make a big difference in how easy it is to push 4000# around.
If the floor is smooth and you have a good compressed air source, maybe you can rent some air casters.

pipe rollers.
Dan
My ten ton mini ram (to lift the item) is about 1/6" too tall.

Let some air out of its tires. d8-)
--
Ed Huntress

yeah, the first thing i thought of was an old joke about two farmers sawing a slot in the top of a doorway for the ears of their too-tall mule.
i can't remember it exactly and i couldn't find it on line.
something about some guy maybe a traveling salesman comes upon two farmers sawing a slot in the top of the doorway of their barn so they can get their too-tall mule in. the salesman asks them why they don't just dig away some dirt below the door and the farmers reply indignantly "we didn't say his legs were too long, we said his ears were too tall!" or something like that. at the time that joke cracked me up.

I love those stories. My banker told me one the other day that made me think of it. He swears it's a true story, and an old one.
A truck got stuck going into the Holland Tunnel. Police came, a tow truck came...they couldn't pull it back, because the front of the trailer was crushed into the top of the tunnel and jammed pretty good.
A schoolbus passed by in the open lane, windows open. A schoolgirl leaned out and said, "Let some air out of the tires." Which they did, and extracted the truck.
I love it. I hope it's true.
--
Ed Huntress

I don't know if that specific story is true, but I have seen over height semi's get stuck, and get out from under a bridge by that method personally.

It's been making me chuckle since last Friday, when I heard it. That's what prompted me to spit it out when I saw your message. I knew it didn't make any sense, but it still made me chuckle to say it. <g>
If this particular banker wasn't such a nice guy, I'd make him tell me where he got the story.
--
Ed Huntress

I have seen this happen with a rental truck.
I had to do the same to get my truck, with some machine in the back, into my garage.
On Wed, 7 Oct 2009 11:24:07 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
<snip>

My old boss used to spend some time chasing firemen/calls. Was at an excavating accident one time where a big earthmover had rolled over crushing the operator. The operator was a goner, but they still needed to extract the body. He said they were trying to figure out how big of a wrecker/crane they were going to need to lift it off him. He went up to one of them and politely suggested someone could get a shovel and a few minutes digging would do the task. Which is what they eventually did :)
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Reminds me of this one for some reason...
Dumb guy goes and buys himself a shiny new chain saw. His salesman assures him he'll be able to cut N cords of wood a day with it.
He goes home, but try hard as he might, can only cut N-5 cords.
Disappointed, he takes the saw back and the embarrassed salesman takes it in for warranty repair.
Dumb guy picks it up a couple of days later, but again, hard as he tries, can now only cut N-4 cords... better but not right.
He returns it yet again, and the whole process repeats till dumb guy is finally cutting N-1 cord... better, but still a disappointment.
On his final trip to the store, the salesman apologizes profusely, and explains to dumb guy he's never had an issue with this model, and can't understand whats wrong. Puzzled, the salesman picks up the saw, snaps on the ignition and gives it a smart yank... ring ding ding ding ding, ring ding ding ding ding.
Dumb guy, now visibly shaken, sporting bugged out eyes and slack jaw yells over the din to the salesman, "Whats that noise, Whats that noise?"
Erik

Ha-ha! I have to remember that one. d8-)
--
Ed Huntress

On Thu, 8 Oct 2009 05:36:48 -0400, "Ed Huntress"

that happened just north of Montreal! Gerry :-)} London, Canada